Allcock aerial

The Other Reels forum.
Marc
Sea Trout

Allcock aerial

Post by Marc »

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I’ve just taken possession of a wide drum aerial with a cork arbor insert and wondered if there was a way of stopping the line going down between the cork and the reel sides? I’ve seen the extremely clever inserts on here, but that kind of thing is beyond me and I was hoping a simple fix, like tape or, well, tape is all I can think. The gap isn’t huge, probably less than a mm, but that’s ample to alllow line down. The cork is still in good condition having been under ten miles of line (slight exaggeration, but there was a lot) for 40 years or so.

Any advise appreciated.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Allcock aerial

Post by Vole »

Boiling, quite briefly, restores champagne corks to (almost) their original, cylindrical shape, so might be worth considering.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

That's a great idea of Voles but if the boiling doesn't work try putting a couple of rows of heavy line on before your reel line, fly backing cabled on neatly would probably do the trick.

Wal.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have used cork with tape on the edges to reduce or get rid of the gap completely.

I purchased some thin 3mm I think rolls of cork so they will be a "made to measure" fit. On a couple of reels there are 2 wraps around the spool.

Also tried with the fly line backing and thick (15lb+) nylon over the cork but the tape seems to be more effective.

Although I only put 50 yards max on the reel whether 4lb mainline or 12lb for carp.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Thank you men.

Thrown up a couple of questions.

1) Would I boil it on the reel? Might sound stupid, but its natural state may be nothing that fits and aerial. Also, would a soak in warm water for an hour have the same results?

2) I've just looked at some 1.5mm cork sheet on the web and wondered if I measure it up carefully and basically add another layer to the top, would that be glued down or held down with the line?

The long and short being that I don't want to risk destroying the original cork, not for sentimental reasons, simply that I don't know where I'd get a replacement.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I personally remove the old cork - or put the 3mm cork used in model railways at about £9.00 on thEbay - over the top.

No glue involved! Just a tight fit after cutting to the width and circumference of the spool - with a little bit over in order to seat it properly.

Return to “Other Reels”