Mercury centre pin reel

The Other Reels forum.
Splitcaner
Ruffe

Mercury centre pin reel

Post by Splitcaner »

Hello I would like to know if anyone has any info or knowledge on a "Mercury" centre pin reel. It measures 4" diameter and has a spool of 1 1/4" s wide. Its made of aluminium dark grey in colour the spool is very light with lots of cut outs, the ratchet button is on the front opposite the single handle the ratchet gear can be seen on the front. The reel fitting is very sturdy, the rear of the reel is plain metal with a brass knurled round nut holding the drum in place, it is a left hand thread. The name Mercury is stamped on the back along with patent applied for. Stamped on top of the reel fitting are M409X. It runs quite smooth apart from one side where it feels like either the shaft or the spool are not true, the screw holding the spool in place is badly damaged and I cannot undo it. Any ideas please.John. :Chuckle:

Splitcaner
Ruffe

Newnes practical mechanics

Post by Splitcaner »

Hello have just acquired a few pages from the 1950s Newnes Practicle Mechanics. There is info on making your own wooden reel, sea rod, Avon rod, split cane fly rod, fishing lures, dry fly rod and completion rod from Spanish reed and Tonkin bamboo. All the drawings measurments and details are all there. All the tackle is made by a C W Taylor M.I.E.T. The dates range from 1954 55 57 and 58. I would like to send the drawings but not sure how to because it would be very interesting to members. John.

Splitcaner
Ruffe

Re: Mercury centre pin reel

Post by Splitcaner »

Hi again, If you look on You Tube and type in Mercury centre pin reel a video comes up of a Mercury reel spinning for ages its exactly like mine. It says its from 1938 only problem mine doesn't spin as long. Still no info apart from the date, 1938 just before the outbreak of the second world war. Could they have moved onto munitions in the factory? John.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

Excellent and rare Mercury Trotting Reel, comes as wide drum (below) or narrow (above) drum models .Made by Mercury Reels Ltd, a London maker of 73 Bassinghall St. for two years only prior to World War 2, the Mercury reel is consequently very scarce and collectable.With its highly ventilated spoked drum running on ball bearings, alloy construction and unique front check mechanism, this was both an innovative and able-performing reel. Circa 1938/9 cut short by ww2

strange things ,a bit like a Pflueger "Progress" Raised Pillar Fly Reel with all those perforations

I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Splitcaner
Ruffe

Post by Splitcaner »

Thank you Chavender for the information, very grateful. Got to get that screw undone now though.

Splitcaner
Ruffe

Post by Splitcaner »

Hi again, still got the Mercury centrepin and still not managed to undo the holding down screw. Its partly fear of causing damage but also not sure what to do if I manage to undo the screw. I think it needs drilling out thats where the fear comes in, also how do I re-align the shaft and replace with a new screw. I have been told they are rare reels so spare parts are not readily available, I would need to get one made. Clamping the reel steady is a problem I dont want to cause any more damage. Any ideas please would be very grateful. John.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Is it a left hand thread ?

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “Other Reels”