Handles or no handles?

The Other Reels forum.
Michael
Tench

Re: Handles or no handles?

Post by Michael »

The design, construction & positioning of the guard is paramount Willsmodger. So a few years back, to make sure these were correct, I actually sat down with Gary, at his workshop, with my idea. With Garys' expertise, knowledge, suggestions & skills, (and numerous brews), they came about...

As for line coming off the top or bottom, its all down to preference, the rest is tosh!....

But of course, coming off the bottom is best!... πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Ps. See my signature..

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Michael wrote: ↑Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 am I had much the same problem a few years back. I decided to get Gary Mills to customise my Bewick's, by fitting a small removable, light weight line guard. Problem solved..
FB_IMG_1531466912508.jpg

FB_IMG_1531467958394.jpg
I do like those Bewick reels fitted with a line guard, are they going into production at all? :Hat:

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

No Reedling, I'm sorry to say.
I bought a job lot years ago, when the MK2 was dismissed by lots of folk, for their minor faults, which were very cheap. I saw through the faults, which were easily rectified. I tried it with the Mk1, but didn't like the results..

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

I've tried both ways with line.
I had an Adcock Stanton and had the line coming from the top. That was a mare to fish with in even the slightest breeze as the line constantly got wrapped around the handle.
I've now got the line coming from the bottom on the TFG and Kennet. The TFG without handles seems the more reliable of the two. I've had overruns on the Kennett. The sectioned line guard seems like a good idea but I am convinced it's too restrictive somehow and contributes to those overruns.
I have seen on YouTube an angler casting with a modified Kennet, I believe he had removed the second section bar from the front of the guard, so that might be the way to go if the problem continues.
Ultimately, Michael's way is the best. Work with a manufacturer rather than just post it off and assume they will know what you want.
The Bewicks did get a few negative reviews when they first appeared. There were however some which said it was actually a very good reel. I've been keeping an eye on them for some time.

All the best.

Return to β€œOther Reels”