Perch

Re: Using a Cobb Centrepin reel

Post by SharkBoy »

I definitely think the ree has been set up for a left handed angler

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi guys does anyone on the forum have the techical ability to switch the mechanical innards of a cob centrepin to the conventional set up for a right handed person i.e. when positioned on a rod .. retrieving with the left hand whilst holding the rod in the right can bring to the Fair at Redditch cheers

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Morning Sharkboy, sorry I took so long, was looking in all the wrong places, I have found the instructions that come with a Cob reel, now all I have to do is photo copy them, and I can post them to you. The good news is, you can change the hand on these reels, and according to the instructions, quite easily. I will sort the copying out today, if you could PM me with your details, I could get it in the post to you.
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

SharkBoy wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:14 pm Hi guys does anyone on the forum have the techical ability to switch the mechanical innards of a cob centrepin to the conventional set up for a right handed person i.e. when positioned on a rod .. retrieving with the left hand whilst holding the rod in the right can bring to the Fair at Redditch cheers
Give Nobby a pm, if anyone can he can :Hat:

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Right Sharkboy, I have scanned and printed the instructions, but it seems you need a "C" spanner, "Box"spanner and "1.5 and 2 AF Allen" keys to do it, I have spare "Box" and "C" spanners you are welcome to, but no "Allen" keys, or tommy bar for the Box spanner. If you want this lot, even if you get Nobby to do it, it will make things a lot simpler if you have the right tools for him to use, please let me know, and I will get them in the post ASAP.
Yours
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi in my box I have a tool kit with the reel and the guy I purchased the reel from has sent the exploded reel leaflet which was delivered today so I think I have everything I need Rod .. thanks for all your time and trouble all the best Steve

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Sharkboy, that's great, dont forget if you want any spares, just let me know, I have a bag full of things like the pads for the braking system, nuts and bolts and washers, even bearings and sleeves, and springs. They all came with the pre-production reel, along with the original draftsman hand done drawings, I kept them as they are a bit of history.

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Thanks Rod .. can I ask a final question as I still a little confused .. have you fished with your reel ? Do you retrieve line by winding with your left hand? .. if yes is your brake lever pointing towards the tip ring of your rod so you can dab it with your index finger or does it point towards your body so that you have to dab it with the your little finger on your right ( rod holding) hand? Cheers

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

I haven't actually fished with the reel, but I have put it on a rod, to feel the weight of it, and I believe it can only be comfortable if the braking lever is facing the tip ring, and therefore using the index/trigger finger to activate it, which ever hand you are using it in, (by the way there are two different lengths of brake lever, and also, at least two colours, as I have black and green?). I unfortunately went through a period of collecting reels that would never see the water, and have a cupboard full of them, some quite worthless, some not so, but I actually only fish with three centerpins and two fixed spool reels, so really the rest are wasted, but will one day be of use, I hope.

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Know exactly what you mean .. it’s like collecting shiny sweets lol

Return to “Other Reels”