The "staro" reel

The Other Reels forum.
Mötti
Minnow

The "staro" reel

Post by Mötti »

This is a reel from Zurich. Engineer Glaser did something very unique: A reel with a fixed spool. When a fish takes line, the spool is stationary.

Kind Regards
Mötti

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: The "staro" reel

Post by Nobby »

What fine condition that is in! Any idea what year it's from? Presumably the clutch allows the entire rotor head to give line then???

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

...and no line twist then??? :Confused:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Mötti
Minnow

Post by Mötti »

@Nobby
Yes, I’m very happy with the condition of this reel. It was a big luck to find this reel. I has asked one seller, who had a Kneuenbühler Fix Reel in tutti.ch (that’s a bit like your preloved.co.uk) something about his reel and he answerd «… but I have other reels which would be good for perch, as example STARO, also a good swiss reel». That was exactly what I was looking for.
You have well described how it works when fish takes line.
The serial number of mine is 50963, so it’s must be a late one. But I’m not sure how long Engineer Glaser did produce this reels. Maybe early 60's ? There are several versions, not all have a bail.

@OldTackle
No, this patent prevent line twist and if my informations are correct it’s pre WW2.

More informations about this reel?

Engineer Glaser has recommended this reel for spinning rods with a lengh of 1,60 – 2,20m and a weight of 150 – 220g and he has strongly recommended to use a rod with butt ring of 18 – 25mm inner diameter. The reel should been placed in a disctance of 55 – 65cm to the butt ring.
With a SP 47 spool there are 160m line with 0,22mm capacity. One time turning the handle takes 44cm line with this spool.
Not engought? No problem, if you have the 4758 version with both rotors and spools change to the SP 58 spool. This has 158m line with 0,30mm capacity. One time turning the handle takes 55cm line with this spool.

On 21./22.7.1951 was the STARO on the international distance casting tournament in London
71,30m with 7,09g casting weight (1. Place)
107,80m with 14,17g casting weight (1. Place)

On 30.6./1.7.1951 was the STARO on the international distance casting tournament in Paris
114,34m with 17,72g casting weight (new record, old record was also from the STARO 113,10m)
121,51m with 30g casting weight (new record, old record was also from the STARO 117,80m)

And at the end a little goody to store it as small as it get. Just turn the handle backward.

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

A really nice reel I use quite often.I think too that it is a later one.From the seven I own only one has the bail like yours.The earlier ones I own all have a brown line roller of something like ceramic....Does your reel have Nylon internals,Sir?

Mötti
Minnow

Post by Mötti »

Dear Tinca Tinca,
I'm not sure what you mean with Nylon internals. This black ring for adjusting?
Kind Regards
Mötti

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Well, that's just stunning isn't it; and what an interesting reel it is.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

When did we give up on making such nice looking reels and why. Lovely reel, I hope it gives you years of service.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Have just found this advertisement. I like the nod to "Land Of The Giants"!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stour Otter on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

What a lovely little reel that looks and sounds like, and one I have never heard of or seen on my travels. I picked up an Alcedo reel last year which I have never heard of before and in use it really surprised me how good it is. I wonder how many really good reels are out there that never caught on or were not really available big time to us in the UK.

Return to “Other Reels”