The "Homer Reel"

The Other Reels forum.
Fredline
Tench

The "Homer Reel"

Post by Fredline »

This reel from the Homers of Forest Gate stable so far is a bit of a mystery as I can find no reference to it at all. It is 3½" x 1 " all alloy construction on the back plate and solid spool, a brass foot and fittings and lovely twin horn handles. The foot is stamped with the number 231, with every other piece including ratchet fittings and copper calliper check marked number 1. So time and effort has been put into making this reel. I have an early 1933 Homers catalogue which shows a very similar reel but with a double row of holes and a wire line guard that matches the original Homers Flick-em. I have hit a brick wall, so it is over to the good people of TFFLand.Image ImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Dokterhoo
Dace

Re: The "Homer Reel"

Post by Dokterhoo »

IMG_0308 (1024x676).jpg
IMG_0306 (1280x879).jpg
Hi,
I have not seen an identical reel but I do have a Homer reel with a lot of the same features and think that they both could be variants of the same basic castings.
My reel is 3.1/2" dia x 1" wide, the foot is brass and identical to yours as is the drum. The check mechanism and button are broadly similar too. The Homer reel stamp looks identical as well.
Although mine has a patent level wind mechanism added they look to me as they are from the same family.
The patent details on mine show the reel to be c.1910 so I would guess that yours is from the same period.
Hope this helps,

Dok
IMG_0306 (1280x879).jpg
IMG_0313 (1024x1009).jpg
IMG_0310 (1024x712).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

Adding the pics is proving a little bit if a challenge but hopefully here are the rest......

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

What an interesting reel, the one that Docterhoo has certainly seems to have been made by the same maker. I have not seen any other similar models from Homer, but I suspect that they are out there somewhere!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

That is the first level wind Homer I have seen for many years. It is a great item and I am very envious . The were definitely the same style of reel at one time. I can see the number 2 on the ratchet plate are all the components stamped with a number?
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I note that both reels pivot the pawl for the check from a distant point on a plate. I had thought this was part of a Hardy patent, now lapsed that is still used on some JW Youngs and Garry Mills reels.

Maybe it was a Homer invention after all.....?

The mechanics of it are a bit over my old head, but there's no doubt it is easier to operate the check this way than try and force a pawl through the caliper spring ends directly.

Nice reels!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Dokterhoo wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:46 amMore pics
I had to go away and take a deep breath after first seeing this ....... wow, just wow!

I have to ask, how well does the level wind mechanism work?
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

I wonder who Mr H F Creeke was?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

Fredline wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:00 am That is the first level wind Homer I have seen for many years. It is a great item and I am very envious . The were definitely the same style of reel at one time. I can see the number 2 on the ratchet plate are all the components stamped with a number?
Hi,
Yes the check parts are all numbered "2".

Dok

Return to “Other Reels”