Eton Sun 5" (A simple thing of beauty)

The Other Reels forum.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Eton Sun 5" (A simple thing of beauty)

Post by Tonytoned »

I know it's cheap and it's made from bakelite, but with the brass I think it looks a simple thing of beauty. At 5" diameter I bought it primarily for pike and carp. So I look forward to my next jolly and try and catch something with it, will post some pictures if I catch.

Thank you for visiting.

:Hat:

Old Man River
Eel

Re: Eton Sun 5" (A simple thing of beauty)

Post by Old Man River »

Sea reels.... I remember using them when I first started chartering back in the 70's , the skippers all had them , bolted to solid glass pokers .

I have one on display, but it is well battered compared to yours, which looks like a minter.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Old Man River wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:02 pm Sea reels.... I remember using them when I first started chartering back in the 70's , the skippers all had them , bolted to solid glass pokers .

I have one on display, but it is well battered compared to yours, which looks like a minter.

OMR
Thank you Old Man River. I thought with a 5" I could get away with using it for carping and piking. But the larger diameter reels 6" and so on. I just fell in love with the reel when I saw it. I did notice that they were sea reels. But there doesn't seem to be much history about the make.

Tigernuts
Ruffe

Post by Tigernuts »

You may need a sturdier rod .. Maybe a rod with screw winch fittings I don't know if the normal reel fittings will stop the reel from twisting on the rod for pikeing ..swinging out 1/2 herrings.. Also maybe look out.for a adaptacast. Makeing the reel turn 90 deg.,or you may. Be able to cast straight of the reel .that is an Art...look forward to hear how you do ..you will get a few looks. It may take a bit of line maybe put some tape as backing on it .enjoy ..

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Tigernuts wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:44 pm You may need a sturdier rod .. Maybe a rod with screw winch fittings I don't know if the normal reel fittings will stop the reel from twisting on the rod for pikeing ..swinging out 1/2 herrings.. Also maybe look out.for a adaptacast. Makeing the reel turn 90 deg.,or you may. Be able to cast straight of the reel .that is an Art...look forward to hear how you do ..you will get a few looks. It may take a bit of line maybe put some tape as backing on it .enjoy ..
Thank you for the heads up Tigernuts. Mind you the rod it's on is a Chapman 550 Mk.IV Carp rod. But I will look out for something sturdier for piking. Though it's mainly fishing for fun.

Last edited by Tonytoned on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Nothing wrong with Bakelite reels, I’ve got loads, they look good and fish well. That is a bit of a beast of a reel you have there, I hope it performs admirably for you. I’d be mindful of line kink. The spokes are few and far between, this may cause issue after a big fish or if the line is on the reel for a while. :Hat:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Marc wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:37 am Nothing wrong with Bakelite reels, I’ve got loads, they look good and fish well. That is a bit of a beast of a reel you have there, I hope it performs admirably for you. I’d be mindful of line kink. The spokes are few and far between, this may cause issue after a big fish or if the line is on the reel for a while. :Hat:
Thank you Marc. My thoughts are that it's only half an inch bigger than a 4 and half inch centrepin, quarter of an inch either side. So only marginally bigger. But its a bit fun.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Wooohooo! I'm a Roach now!

:wave:

Return to “Other Reels”