"Is the old centrepin worth updating?"

The Other Reels forum.
Fredline
Tench

"Is the old centrepin worth updating?"

Post by Fredline »

I was reading a pile of old mags last night and came across this editorial article. Quite prophetic.Image
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Re: "Is the old centrepin worth updating?"

Post by Duckett »

Thanks for posting this. I first learnt to trot in the early to mid 1970s with an ABU 506 whilst I was in my teens (I still own and use that reel on very windy days). I don't ever recall seeing anyone using a centrepin where I fished on the Dee, Weaver and some of the small rivers of Cheshire. In fact, it wasn't until I came back to the sport this century that I handled my first centrepin and realised that it really is the best tool for the job ..... and several others!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I noticed the article dated 1971 all of the reel suggested are true pin centrepins. No mention of bearing pins like the reynolds or the stanton range to name one. Perhaps the writer did not rate bearing reels as good trotting reels ?
Interesting reading Fredline.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Interesting that the writer seem not to have noticed that JW Young had been closed for 2 years.......... ;-)

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Certainly since this article was written a number of reel makers have produced centre pin reels for all tastes, but they come at a price. On this forum you will find many different opinions as to what constitutes the "best" pin, but the fact that most of us have more than one ( and some have many) would suggest that beauty and functionality are in the eye and the hands of the owner!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

LD has hit the nail on the head, I have a cupboard full of CP's, some of which have never had line on them, but for the life of me, I cant bring myself to move them on :surrender:
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Return to “Other Reels”