Can anyone identify these reels.

The Other Reels forum.
Roachy
Bleak

Can anyone identify these reels.

Post by Roachy »

ImageImage
I recently acquired these reels as a part of an auction lot.They are extremely well made,but neither has a makers name on them.The smaller one has MC scratched on the inside and I take it this was the maker.They are both very heavy with the larger 3in reel weighing 14oz and the smaller 2 1/8 reel weighing 12oz.
Any info will be great fully accepted.
DaveImageImageImage
Last edited by Roachy on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing is complete and utter madness.

KenSowerbutts
Grayling

Re: Can anyone identify these reels.

Post by KenSowerbutts »

Hi looking through my reference books on antique and vintage reels I have found one maker a Moriss Carswell of Glasgow around the early 1900s so perhaps the smaller one is one of his . The larger looks very simular to one made by Thomas Alfred who traded from 126 Oxford Street london and then 258 Oxford Street from 1856 to 1893 . Hope this is some help to you .
Ken
Knowledge comes but Wisdom lingers

KenSowerbutts
Grayling

Post by KenSowerbutts »

Hi looking through my reference books on antique and vintage reels I have found one maker a Moriss Carswell of Glasgow around the early 1900s so perhaps the smaller one is one of his . The larger looks very simular to one made by Thomas Alfred who traded from 126 Oxford Street london and then 258 Oxford Street from 1856 to 1893 . Hope this is some help to you .
Ken

Roachy
Bleak

Post by Roachy »

Indeed the smaller one is a Morris Carswell reel.The same reel was used in the first Illingworth/Carswell prototype of their first threadline reel.I have added a pic to the original post.
The other reel,I,m still looking for a maker but have discovered that it's made of nickel silver and lacquered brass and has a small no1 engraved on the front.Its 3 inches in diameter and is a plate wind reel and weighs 14ounces.
Fascinating stuff this reel collecting.
Fishing is complete and utter madness.

KenSowerbutts
Grayling

Post by KenSowerbutts »

Will agree with you it is very fascinating some are works of art and meant to be admired .

Return to “Other Reels”