Allcocks Match Aerial user.

The Other Reels forum.
Robbi
Tench

Re: Allcocks Match Aerial user.

Post by Robbi »

Evening Wal,

that style of line guard would account for the threaded holes :) very nicely done Sir.

Nobby,

it's a very hard smooth "old" plastic, the edges are so crisp and fine I would think it has been machined rather than cast.

Robbi
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Nice reel - but I'm sorry the custom made ratchet knob really does have to come off regardless of
how functional it is. It's so wrong on so many levels in my honest opinion :tea:
niceroach

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Admittedly it looks a bit strange but it really is so much easier to use than the original set up.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Personally I think it suits it, so many ratchet levers are too small in my opinion. :tea:

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

I saw this when it was for sale and I'm pleased it has a good home and you are happy with your purchase.
I'm a big lover of patina and character and I think this reel has character. She is a unique lady .
John

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

:)

I have an idea to add a bit of "steam punk " individuality to it ! :)

I want to block up the 6 small threaded holes around the rim to stop dirt dust crud and rocks getting in and doing horrible things to her delicate insides, now I don't think this can be done so that it doesn't show but I have found that the little brass screws that you get 3 off inside a 3 pin plug that pinch up the wire in each pin fit perfectly but are a bit long and the heads a bit "square-ish " but with the aid of a Dremel I can cut them down and re-profile the heads to a nice "rivet" type roundedness and still retaining the slot :).....lets make a feature of it :)

Think rivets on a ship :)
Last edited by Robbi on Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

You can mix aluminium filings with a two pack glue like Araldite and block holes that way. There used to be a Devcon product made this way, but it seems to have gone and was ridiculously expensive anyway. You could drill, tap, file and polish the end result though.....it was tough enough to re-profile an exhaust port in a two-stroke cylinder!!!

Equally, you could just buy a few rivets on eBay and maybe make or buy a 'dolly' and close the holes that way. Aluminium rivets are easy to chop down to size....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLID-ALUMINI ... SwHJhXMuog

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Those rivets look good Nobby, my only issue would be the skill and tools required to dress them in such a confined area and without damage to the outer face of the rim.

Pentonhook
Dace

Post by Pentonhook »

Nice reel Robbi, I find using light lines a problem, gets caught around the reel foot on the cast.

One for Wal, how difficult is it to convert to a rim type lever?

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

I recently fitted the John Wilson caged line guard to a Match Aerial. Great result. Love it to bits. That line guard I purchased as spare part for around 30€. A very good investment.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Return to “Other Reels”