Sowerbutts Centrepin 3 1/2in by 5/8th
Can anyone help with Make and Model ?

:Thumb:

Lee.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Sowerbutts Pin

Post by Harry H »

Could be an early Young's contract reel especially with that spindle and check button. There pattern 2a Roach reel looks very similar apart from the picture shows perforations and a regulator. It also states the 3 1\2 version weighs 6 1/2 oz. A very nice reel though whoever made it. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I agree with Harry this reel is almost certainly from J.W.Young, one of the "Pattern" type models that they produced for different retailers. I have seen the "pattern 9" model shown as having four or six internal spokes and both ventilated and non ventilated, in different sizes as well. I am sure that Nobby and several other members on this forum could offer information and opinions on this reel, it is certainly an interesting find!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It's Moley I got my very limited knowledge of these Youngs reels from....maybe a Pattern 9, but there were many versions for the customer to choose from, denoted by letters, I think.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Thanks for your replies ...It does look very much like a pattern 9 , the only difference being the 9 nine has a lever check.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think that might have been an option, but there were lots of 9 versions. Does anyone have a copy of Ambidexman's book?

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Nobby wrote:I think that might have been an option, but there were lots of 9 versions. Does anyone have a copy of Ambidexman's book?

I don't have a copy of the book, but a pattern nine ventilated version without a lever check is on ebay at the moment, so both ventilation and lever check were available on different models.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

According to Rupes excellent J W Youngs book it is an early Pattern 9.
Unperforated wide drum with four internal spokes. A popular free running centrepin which circulated during the mid 1930s. The Youngs 1937 catalogue showed it available in 3", 3 1/2", 3 3/4", 4" and 4 1/2" versions.

It was listed as "improved" in the 1939 catalogue which says it had the side lever check. I think the perforations were optional to buyers.

I have had a few side lever versions stamped with different retailers names, some with and some without perforations.

Wal.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Thanks Wal . :Hat: Just the info iv been looking for

Lee.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

An old post here i know but iv just bought a Sowerbutts catalogue. circa 1935.
Sowerbutts called it " The Castwell" and came in 3" / 3 1/2" and 4"

Return to “Other Reels”