Strikeright reels

The Other Reels forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: Strikeright reels

Post by Ljm183 »

Pdf file for the above papers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Grazy wrote:Lovely reel and I wouldn't say cheap and cheerful by the looks of that one, the simplicity of changing the ratchet pawl is British engineering at it's finest!!

I've not seen a pawl quite like that before. Clever. Does it stay in place OK Lee? The Dragon carp one is a bit prone to falling out.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

That's how I came to the idea, that most modern reels use the same pawl, I lost one out of a Cyprus Emperor, and when I contacted the manufacturer for a replacement, they never answered, then I noticed that it was the same as a cheapy from Dragon carp, so I used that to replace the one I lost, then the makers sent me a whole reel, with just two small screws missing, saying I could use it for spares, so after replacing the 2.5mm screws, I ended up with a brand new boxed reel :Ok: Getting back on track, what I noticed was 99% of my modern reels, have exactly the same pawl, which is not much different from the one shown on here, and as patents run out after twenty years, it looks like some one has jumped on the band wagon of British ingenuity.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby wrote:
Grazy wrote:Lovely reel and I wouldn't say cheap and cheerful by the looks of that one, the simplicity of changing the ratchet pawl is British engineering at it's finest!!

I've not seen a pawl quite like that before. Clever. Does it stay in place OK Lee? The Dragon carp one is a bit prone to falling out.

No Nobby never had the pawl fall out on any Strikeright reels. Probably down to the fine teeth on the nylon ratchet and the depth of the recess on the pin the pawl sit,s on.

Just had a look at the Aduaflo and the Aduraflo De Lux and they both have the same pawl as the Ultraflo

Here,s their guarantee.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Rod, the Dragon Carp reel and the Marco Cortesi as well as several other variants are all made at the same factory. Indeed, bar some artistic changes programmed into a CNC mill, they are the same reel, so it's no surprise that the pawls are interchangeable.

As far as I am aware Roger Surgay, or perhaps one of his staff at Used Tackle, noticed, as many of us had done before, that the cheap fly fishing reels coming out of China only needed another handle adding and you had a cheap centrepin. And I do mean cheap....my fly reel direct from China cost me £12. The same reel was £300 in the UK and all it had was some extra anodising on it.

Roger already had the contacts in China so he was half-way there. He's since sold his empire to Sports Direct, of course. He started off selling used tackle in church halls for a small mark-up.......clever bunny.

Sadly, the design of the pawl retaining clip was suspect on the early reels....I think Chavender was of the opinion it has since been improved.....and many fell out. If the ones fitted now resemble the Strikeright ones they have indeed been altered.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I thought I'd do a search on the pawl patent number Lee's pdf file threw up. No luck initially, but I did find it referred to in this patent application by 1972 Carpano and Pons of Cluses, France...the makers of the Mitchell reels!

http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US3827649

And that mention turned out to be an active link.....so here it is, by a Mr.Hay

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicat ... &KC=A&FT=D

And here is the original document:

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicat ... cale=en_EP

I love the internet!

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Ljm, may I use some of your photo's in the "Reel specification" part of the site, as I am working up an entry on Strike Right? :Beg:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Rod wrote:Ljm, may I use some of your photo's in the "Reel specification" part of the site, as I am working up an entry on Strike Right? :Beg:
Rod, you can use any of the photos , and if you need any more let me know.

Lee.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Thanks Ljm, I will go through the reels I have, and see what they look like, if Yours would be better, then I will certainly come back to you, :Hat:

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I started my fishing days with Srikerights, i still have a couple of my originals.
Just got another, a mint condition Ultraflow 4 1/8 th on eBay, its really nice. Cant wait to try it next season.
Great photos by the way, my one had the box but no info so I printed them off.
Thank you

Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “Other Reels”