Strikeright reels

The Other Reels forum.
Rod
Grayling

Strikeright reels

Post by Rod »

What follows is what I can find out about this make of cheap and cheerful reels, if anyone can fill in any gaps, I would be grateful.

Strikeright Reels.

Hydraflo 3-1/8”
Hydraflo 3-5/8”
Hydraflo 4-1/8”
“The attractive polychromatic grey finish is designed to withstand all normal use with sea water, The pillar built drum, built to give extra line capacity, on the 3-5/8” and the 4-1/8” making this ideal for pier fishing, as well as pike etc. A penny may be used as a screwdriver in the wide slotted centre screw.”

Featherflo 3-1/8”
Featherflo 3-5/8”
Featherflo 4-1/8”
“The pillars are arranged so as to give a more rapid recovery of the line, the metal used in the drum of this range is anodised high tensile marine aluminium alloy, making this the lightest drum for its size on the market. The back of these reels are the same as the Hydroflo, except the polychromatic is a darker shade.”

Aduraflo 3-5/8”
Aduraflo 4-1/8”
“The two Aduraflo have increased capacity to the Featherflo 3-5/8” and the 4-1/8”, also with the added refinement of our patented four-in-one dragnut*. The adjustment of the drag is fine enough to be used when casting, and heavy enough to tire the fish.”

Aduraflo De Lux 3-1/8”
Aduraflo De Lux 3-5/8”
Aduraflo De Lux 4-1/8”
“These are ultra-light; centre-pin release**, with lineguard as standard fitting. The plates are of anodised high tensile marine aluminium alloy, the winch fitting {saddle} stainless steel. The handles are set in cups to stop line trapping, and shaped to eliminate the tendency for fingers to slide inwards.”

Ultraflo 3-5/8" Narrow Drum. (capacity, 300yds 8lb monofilament, weight 6-1/2oz)
Ultraflo 4-1/8" Narrow Drum. (capacity, 300yds 10lb monofilament, weight 7-3/4oz)
""The "Ultraflo" is an All-Purpose fresh water reel. Lightweight and inexpensive, although it has the new narrow drum.
Finish: Dark grey stove enamelled. The inner drum surfaces are silver finished.
Drum. Quick release centre pin latch type. Narrow, ultra lightweight. The line is carried on widely spaced pillars to assist aeration, and line drying. These pillars are set on a wide diameter to ensure rapid line recovery.
Spindle, precision ground stainless steel to reduce wear and stop corrosion.
Gear and Spindle Bush. Are made of solid nylon, which is claimed to be one of the worlds finest materials for bearings and is almost indestructible, (with normal use).
Pawl. (patent number 815793). This took two years to perfect, and can be used left or right hand without removal from its fitting. It is designed to give a soft action one way and strong the other.""
The above information on the "Ultraflo" was supplied by Ljm183, who has also posted photo's.

Junaflo 3-1/8”
“Unlike the other reels, this has a 7/8” dia. Marine aluminium alloy solid core wind-in. In spite of its price these still have all the latest components, and are finished in polychromatic grey enamel. Apart from general purpose this can also make an ideal fly reel”

Tideflo 4-1/8”
“The Tideflo is identical to the 4 1/8” Hydroflo, plus the four-in-one dragnut*.”

J.L. Special No 2, 3-1/8”
“Is a narrow drum version of the Junaflow using aluminium drum plates. However, the spindle is not stainless steel, neither is the strength that of the Junaflo, but is much lighter.”

Questaflo 4-1/8"
Pressed steel centre pin, enamelled, and internal lineguard fittings. Back plate is quite different from previous reels, it looks like a cheaper version of the Ultraflo, price tag on model I have is 62/9, (old money).

Wonderflo 3-1/2”
“Enamel steel fly reel.”

Victorflo 3-1/8”
Victorflo 3-1/2”
“Aluminium fly reel, finished part polished and part enamelled.
These will be built around our standard components (stainless steel spindle, nylon gear and bush, patent pawl, ect.), but include many new features of our own design. The “caging” being a more sound method of line control and leaves the front drum rim exposed for finger controlling.
Fitted with built-in anti-snag lineguard, that may be easily altered for left or right hand use.”

“* The four-in-one Dragnut. (Patent No 740996) This we believe to be the answer to all dragnuts, being a single unit, yet including a D washer, spring, patent locking device, and knurled control. This self retaining nut has a locking device incorporated inside to lock it to the spindle as soon as it is “off drag”, and the drum is “free rotating”. This device leaves the nut free to adjust at any time, but stops it being unscrewed too far, letting the line at the back of the drum. It also stops the nut coming off on its own.”

“** Centre-pin release. This is a push type, not one that entails the use of a fingernail to lift off. It has a double catch action, so is much more secure than the normal gate latch type.”

Everything in “ “, is quoted verbatim from a manufactures leaflet, for use of the trade. I do believe there were other models, and if I find any I will amend this posting.
Last edited by Rod on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: Strikeright reels

Post by Ljm183 »

How about the Ultraflo

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

That looks like a true centre pin, with a float screw, if you can give me some details, such as diameter, what you think its made of, and such, I can then add it to the list.
Rod
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

A fine list, Rod...and a few models I had never heard of before too!

Someone found an address for them in Hounslow, Middlesex, but not much is known about them. I've handled just one reel by them and although a tad heavy it was far better made than I had expected. Very under-rated.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Here,s a few more photo,s of the reel. It,s the 4 1/8" model and the spool is 5/8" wide.

Here,s the paperwork in the box (click picture to enlarge)

Here,s the address Nobby

Last edited by Ljm183 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's one tidy little reel there Lee...too good to use perhaps?

I see 442 Staines Road is a double glazing shop now...a shop, as opposed to a an industrial manufacturing unit.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Ljm183, I know this is a pain, but could you please post a photo of the ratchet pawl, as part of it is obscured behind the spindle, if what I think is right, it will answer a question, that has nagged me for ages. :Confused:
Rod

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Here ya go Rod

Setup for right handed fishermen.......... Left hand wind

Setup for left handed fishermen ......... Right hand wind

This is what the pawl look,s like

Hope it help,s

Lee.

Grazy

Post by Grazy »

Lovely reel and I wouldn't say cheap and cheerful by the looks of that one, the simplicity of changing the ratchet pawl is British engineering at it's finest!!

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Found it :huray: had anyone noticed, it don't matter what reel you buy today, whether it's a cheap Dragon carp, or a pricey Hardy, they all have the same spur or pawl, I couldn't work out why, and just how much the inventor made in royalties? Maybe just maybe, this is the one mentioned in the leaflet shown on here, if so it answers my question.

Return to “Other Reels”