Strikeright reels

The Other Reels forum.
Peter Wilde
Rudd

Re: Strikeright reels

Post by Peter Wilde »

Rod, I hope you succeed in working up an entry on Strike Right for the reel specifications page. It would be useful to have all the available info collected in one place.

I've recently collected a few and have found them quite strong and usable, at least for close-in fishing. Despite the wealth of info and good quality pictures already on TFF (albeit in several places) I've found it hard to identify the precise model for a couple of mine. (In fact I've started wondering if the Strikeright factory just picked at random from a large bin of miscellaneous nuts and bolts, as all the ones on the backs of my reels seem different for no apparent reason!).

So good luck with the project!

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

I will when I get a few moments, start photographing my collection of Strikeright reels, but there are literally loads of types and sizes, so it will be a mammoth undertaking.
Rod
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

I came across a lovely little boxed strikeright this morning . It was a model I had not heard of beforehand my search led me to this thread.
It is a J.L. Special No.1 and I didn't notice it in the list .
John

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's a new one on me.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Nobby wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:10 pm That's a new one on me.
Hi Nobby
A baby strike right , a smidge under 3" across the spool . A tidy little boxed reel with just one handle a bit canted over . Nothing to worry about and for couple of quid I felt worth it as a boxed unusual reel . I had not heard of this model .
Not sure but it may be missing something off the nut at the rear ?
Ps It came just like this . I havnt cleaned it or anything .
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Keston on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

That is a find, it's not on their literature, so it is unusual :Ok:
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Rod wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:00 pm That is a find, it's not on their literature, so it is unusual :Ok:
Rod :Hat:
:huray: thanks Rod :Happy:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think that's original Keston. Dome-headed shouldered bolt going right through the reel to the nut on the back is my guess. Nylon bush for the spool. The two threaded holes on the reel back are for a line guard, that possibly cost extra. A very deep spool, it would take a huge amount of line..I wonder what it was intended for? If it weren't for that box we wouldn't even know it's name!

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Nobby wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:46 am I think that's original Keston. Dome-headed shouldered bolt going right through the reel to the nut on the back is my guess. Nylon bush for the spool. The two threaded holes on the reel back are for a line guard, that possibly cost extra. A very deep spool, it would take a huge amount of line..I wonder what it was intended for? If it weren't for that box we wouldn't even know it's name!
Part right Nobby . I just opened the reel for a look .The Bush is nylon and looking through it's in two pieces joined in the centre . It fits inside an ally outer core . The threaded bolt goes into a central spindle.
The two holes through the backplate do look threaded so makes sense with a line guard . They do also for part of the spring mechanism for the ratchet .

ImageImage

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah, and I see ....the spindle is shouldered and takes the nut on the back. You have that patented pawl by Mr. Hay in there too. I shall have some oil for you at Romsey that will make it spin like a top!

Return to “Other Reels”