S.E Cooke Duracast

The Other Reels forum.
Keston
Tench

Re: S.E Cooke Duracast

Post by Keston »

I just took delivery of a Duracast, I needed a little Gudgeon reel and this looked the part .ImageImageImage

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I missed out on the true centrepin version of that reel only last week on eBay. They weigh absolutely nothing...wouldn't upset the balance of any rod.

Mr.SE Cooke owned the Basingstoke Canal once...got into trouble for not keeping it navigable...I don't think boating was in the forefront in his mind when he bought it...... ;-)

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Your dead right there Nobby, I can remember back when, you could walk for miles along the Basingstoke canal, just to find a hole in the weed to fish through. I had some lovely Perch out of there, when I could find somewhere to put my worm :Chuckle: I will say now it's a different matter, the waters clear of weed, but the footpath is clogged with cyclists, the ones with pretty coloured Lycra, and no respect for fishing tackle, the boaters on the whole are pretty good, and the walkers usually very appreciative of vintage tackle, well, the older ones that is. There are some very nice fish in there, all the usual's, but including Chub :Confused: so if you go early or late in the day, it's a few hours good sport, for the price of a cheap day ticket, the last time I went it was £1.50 :Thumb:
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Nice little thing you have there Keaton. Perfect little gudgeon reel. Good that you got the standard capacity one. The ex/cap hat a tiny drum indeed.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

It's amazingly light at only 88 grms. Only thing is I'm not quite sure how much oil is meant to go down the wick, any thoughts ?

JeffEdisbury
Stickleback

Post by JeffEdisbury »

Does anyone have any information regarding these reels?
I have a 3 inch and 3.5 inch version. Did they do any more?

Dates of production, or anything to do with the company?

Thanks for now.

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

I had a Duracast that I purchased at Romsey a few years ago,still boxed and in superb condition.I loaded it with 4lb mono......and promptly never used it.Shameful.🙄

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I bought this from Ted, Lea Dweller, a few years ago. In fact I wouldn't let him out of the house until he sold it to me. Just imagine opening this little beauty on Xmas morning.
ImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Fredline wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:13 pm I bought this from Ted, Lea Dweller, a few years ago. In fact I wouldn't let him out of the house until he sold it to me. Just imagine opening this little beauty on Xmas morning.
ImageImage
What a cracking little reel John,
"Oh no, I can feel another reel coming in on the horizon!)
Lucky I have an long suffering Mrs B!
"Is there no end to this collecting lark!"
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

I have one , perhaps a later version , with a metal central boss . It's a great little thing to slip in a pocket when travelling light , the ratchet lever is well designed and it spins at a gust of wind . Which isn't always a good thing 🙂Image
ImageImage
The smaller reel in the photo is a Dyna / Flite
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Return to “Other Reels”