Lewtham reel

The Other Reels forum.
Reedling
Catfish

Lewtham reel

Post by Reedling »

I found one of those Lewtham reels in a box whilst sorting through a few bits today and, like you do, gave it a spin. Well, it span and span so I checked it against the clock, I gave a handle a flick and off it went. I must admit the bearing does create a noise but it turned for just over two minutes, this was straight out of a box in the cupboard so to speak. I was quite surprised by the spin length.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Lewtham reel

Post by Tengisgol »

I had a Leeds Lewtham reel for years and it was the mainstay for my trotting. It may not have been too fashionable or sought after but boy was it effective. And all for twenty quid back then!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

I saw some time back that the owner of Lewtham was putting all the tools and drawings up for sale, and was stopping production, I haven't seen anything since so I don't know if he has, or what, be a shame really, as these reels were a great product at affordable prices, which encouraged people to try the use of a pin.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have used one of these reels in the past, the one thing against them as far as I was concerned is the milled edge to the spool. When you try to brake a larger fish, it burns your fingers from the friction of the milling against your skin.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Dave Lewthwaite (who has been mentioned on here from time to time) retired a few years back. Both Lewtham Leeds reels and the original ones made in Leeds by W&S from the mid-60s appear regularly on a certain auction site, you can usually pick one up for less than £30. Many do not have the milled edge. They are very free running, I have one and I like using it, if anyone needs to know the size of the internal bearings for replacement purposes let me know as I have details.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I should imagine one without a milled rim would be a nice reel to use. I also like the non noisy ratchet type drag.

CentrepinGuru
Stickleback

Post by CentrepinGuru »

Last edited by CentrepinGuru on Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

It’s like when The Jam re-released their whole catalogue one Christmas and the Top Thirty got taken over by their singles!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Other Reels”