Rimfly ???

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Rimfly ???

Post by Shaun Harrison »

St.John wrote:Always wanted a lightweight bit never seen one at the right moment... Then a hardy marques caught my eye. Over priced but rather lovely.
Sold a lot of those too in all 10 sizes from the small Hardy Marquis 2/3 size up to the largest Hardy Marquis Salmon 3. In fact Salmon wise it was rare to get anyone onto anything other than a Marquis Salmon 1, 2 or 3. Again real good sturdy work horses.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Tomglum wrote:Thanks for replys,I've aquired a nice little Milwards troutrover,but what line I will need is a mystery to me
Tim
For Milwards cane rods they recommended a 5wt for rods up to 9ft and a 7 wt for rods of 9ft and over. These are approximate conversions as the silk lines were graded on thickness and not weight.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

I bought one of these for my youngest when he wanted to take up trout fishing, over 25 years ago now. The thinking was that, should it accidentally get knocked about whilst he was learning, or should he decide after a while that the sport was not for him; either way, it wasn't a lot of money wasted.

He liked both the sport-and the reel, to the extent of buying another spool to go with it and, because it has done everything asked of it and landed many fish, including a 4 1/2lb brown trout has never needed to buy another reel since..despite the offer of a 'better' one as a present!

I cannot think of a bigger, value-for-money reel than this..AND it's British made!

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Shaun Harrison wrote:
St.John wrote:Always wanted a lightweight bit never seen one at the right moment... Then a hardy marques caught my eye. Over priced but rather lovely.
Sold a lot of those too in all 10 sizes from the small Hardy Marquis 2/3 size up to the largest Hardy Marquis Salmon 3. In fact Salmon wise it was rare to get anyone onto anything other than a Marquis Salmon 1, 2 or 3. Again real good sturdy work horses.
That they are, and look rather fetching on the rod I think! Image
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I bought a couple of the Leeda Rimfly reels recently off ebay for pennies, as starter reels for fly fishing (complete novice).. They are great!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

I must confess that I'm partial to the little Army and Navy Fly reels, they are simple, sturdy, cheap as chips and look nice on a bit of cane....

Tomglum
Bleak

Post by Tomglum »

This set up looks pretty sweet aswell...If the reel was polished..mmm there's a thought...haha
Thanks for the info guys
Tim

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Just discovered this thread.... My two Rim Fly's are the only two trout reels I own. Both balance a cane rod beautifully (I have tried lighter reels but find they balance is awry) and are real old workhorses as Shaun says. A great, cheap and basic fly reel that have suffered years of abuse and never failed me once. I love to use a three-weight although I've used the reels for sea trout on the Ythan Estuary with a seven-weight without trouble (although not much room left for backing!).

Tomglum
Bleak

Post by Tomglum »

Haha,it was the photo's in your book that prompted me to sort out the reel...a BIG thankyou for that,and a great read,definitely one of my favorite books..and i read alot..but i said that at the start of the thread i just noticed...haha
Tim

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

SteveC wrote:... A fly reel in most cases is only to store the line so why pay more.
Spot on there mate! problem is that some of them look so damn nice-like the hardy cascapedia!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”