Intrepid Magazine Advert from 1963...

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Intrepid Magazine Advert from 1963...

Post by Nobby »

I think it was a reference to The Fast Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsQYzpOHpik

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Grrrrrrreat.........

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Eric Clapton on eukelele.

I'm sure we had this conversation on PP once?

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

As a newbie to this forum I am thoroughly enjoying reading all these most interesting posts and I hope that you will not mind me resurrecting an old thread through the comment above.

I have to say that I agree, I have a Rimfly and thoroughly enjoy using it, but 'the most significant reel introduced by K P Morritts?'...I guess there might be another choice....The Intrepid SeaStreak.

The reel that changed the attitude of an army of beach anglers toward multipliers. The fear of a 'birdsnest' was all but eradicated by the patented 'Thumatic Cast Control' mechanism...or so they claimed.

It might not of lived up to its' billing and by comparison with other, better engineered reels it was pretty basic, but it did introduce a hell of a lot of anglers to 'distance' casting within the limitations of the time. I paid £8-17s-6d for my first one in the mid 1960s, but soon returned to the Penn Squidder.

Nevertheless, it was a pretty significant introduction by Intrepid at the time and there are legions of them still being bought & sold today

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I have an old super twin in great nick, i might dig it out when the rain stops.

I've also got a surf caster, that was left to me along with a split cane boat rod(bit of a broom stick) by my mums uncle in the early 80's. I'll have to get it out and check the makers name.

Gaz

LadaMark

Post by LadaMark »

I have a Mitchell 300 that must be 35 years old and till works fine but returning to Angling this season after nearly 30 years, I have been using the very first reel I was given at 5 years old. I have no idea of the make of this reel, just states 'Made in England' on it but it is in perfect working order and has landed a few nice Perch. New line on it of course!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It shouldn't do....it should say 'made in france' on it.

That's a Milbro Marvellus multiplying centrepin.

It was imported from France by the Millard brothers in the late Sixties, in two sizes. It should have two lined line guides for using either left or right handed. And Milbro really did spell the name like that, honest!

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

gaztheangler wrote:I've also got a surf caster, that was left to me along with a split cane boat rod(bit of a broom stick) by my mums uncle in the early 80's. I'll have to get it out and check the makers name. Gaz
If it's got the actual name 'Surfcast' that should be another of the popular Intrepid reels by Morritts Gaz.

The Surfcast was made in several versions over a pretty long period and you still see them in use on the beach occasionally.
I've got three, rarely used these days it's sad to say.

The relatively short spool restricted casting distance by modern standards of course and the tendency for the bale arm to suddenly snap shut through inertia during a powerful cast caused much lost gear with accompanying resounding 'crack-off and usual loud expletives !!!

Mind you, they accounted for a hell of a lot of good Cod and other fish during the East Coast beach anglers' heyday between 1965 and 1975.

LadaMark

Post by LadaMark »

Nobby. You are quite right, it does say 'Made in France' on it! I knew I should have checked before writing my Post! However, I would disagree on when this reel was imported as it was my first fishing reel given to me by an uncle along with a Weir Product four piece cane travel / poaching rod and (somewhere around) I have a black and white photo of me aged five taken by my father at Little Britain Lake near Iver in Buckinghamshire with my first fish. That would date the reel at pre 1964. Apart from a few scratches, the reel is in perfect order with no rust and works fine.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah..I only have the one Milbro catalogue, Mark, the one for 1967. Since they are so rare, I'd presumed they weren't imported for very long.

I know Little Britain well, lived around the corner in Hillingdon for 20 years.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”