Best Morritts/Intrepid for Carp

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Newtocane
Ruffe

Best Morritts/Intrepid for Carp

Post by Newtocane »

A quick question if I may? I'm looking at which reel to try from my c0llection when carp fishing, I'm currently using a Supreme and have even tried a Surfcast, but that's a bit on the large size. Rods that I use are an Edgar Sealey Carpmaster and an unamed 10' cane. Any tips/assistance appreciated.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Best Morritts/Intrepid for Carp

Post by AshbyCut »

There's a website dedicated to K. P. Morritt's Intrepid reels maintained by a TFF member :-

http://www.intrepidreel.com/home.html

As you'll see, the 'Elite' is listed as the second most popular reel by this maker, and I do use them.

I'd suggest that the best reel for carp angling would be the 'Continental,' which boasted "Precision cut helical gearing giving extremely smooth transmission. Optional wind. Spare spool and a set of collars for varying line sizes with a capacity of 200 yards of 12lb BS."

As you can see from this pair of reels I have they were available in green or black, and the 'collars' mentioned above can be seen which alter the diameter of the arbour meaning that shorter lengths of line can be utilised (though it has to be said that they have usually been lost in the mists of the past, and are hard to find these days). The 'flyer' turns anti-clockwise, like a Mitchell, and as far as I'm aware they are only found in a left hand version (ie. the handle is on the left hand side ... so no right hand wind).

They were introduced in May, 1959.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

This advertisement is taken from the Fishing Gazette in September, 1959, and the illustration of a pike seems to say that the 'Continental' was aimed at larger fish.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Without no hesitation the famous Mitchell 300 or 410 :Ok:

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Thames Mudlarker wrote:Without no hesitation the famous Mitchell 300 or 410 :Ok:
That's not an intrepid. :tea:

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I have to agree with AC. The continental is probably their finest effort and I think their best looking. You could also try the Diplomat, it comes with the same spool collars, again the one I have hasn't got them. Looks very of it's time, but I've caught a carp on my examples one and only trip to the bank; not a reflection on the reel, just the number I have and want to use.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Paul D wrote:
Thames Mudlarker wrote:Without no hesitation the famous Mitchell 300 or 410 :Ok:
That's not an intrepid. :tea:
:oops: oh yea I thought it was best overall carp reel, should of read the headline properly :doh:.... :Hahaha:
Last edited by Stuart Whiting on Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I know some chaps have got on Ok with their Elites but mine sort of melted playing a lively Irish pike, so it may be wise to find out which version is the best and if there are any modifications to make to ensure it's working at its best. Alternatively avoid the Elite altogether.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Newtocane
Ruffe

Post by Newtocane »

My right-hand wind Continental!

Newtocane
Ruffe

Post by Newtocane »

Thank you all for your advice, I think I need to find a pair of left-hand Continentals, can't get on with right-hand wind reels! I do use an Elite for float fishing, but it doesn't feel up to the job for heavier lines.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”