Elite Driving Gear wheel

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

Elite Driving Gear wheel

Post by Wagtail »

I have 4 Elites, in various states of repair.

Three of them have a plastic driving gear wheel, whilst the other has a metal wheel instead. From the outside I cannot tell which is which - other than I've put a distinctive looking line on the metal-geared version! I did wonder if the patent number would be different but on close inspection even that proved to be the same on all the reels.

Does anyone know of a way of externally identifying the reels with metal driving gear?
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Stingray
Grayling

Re: Elite Driving Gear wheel

Post by Stingray »

The metal gear is a later development and there are other external changes, for example changes to the bale-catch mechanism, which occurred later (though not in sync with the metal gear) so it may be possible to identify an Elite that is more likely to have the metal gear by the presence of other later features but not absolutely. Truth is Morritt introduced incremental changes to reels in an unstructured way, without introduction (if that makes sense) unlike say Daiwa who added A, B, C, D etc to the name Morrits did not. The best way to identify the metal and plastic gear without a screwdriver is to familiarise oneself with the different feel and sound of them in operation.

The patent is for elements of the reel design and not for the reel itself (it would be nigh on impossible to patent a whole reel I think) - here are details of the patent which can be found on several other reels not just the Elite and dates from 1958 when the Elite was a mere twinkle in Mr Morritt's eye -

http://www.directorypatent.com/GB/798024-a.html

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Thanks Stingray, I've never noticed a different feel or sound but will have another play and see if I can detect the difference!
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Wagtail wrote:Thanks Stingray, I've never noticed a different feel or sound but will have another play and see if I can detect the difference!
If it's gunged up to the seams with grease this test might not work but think of a pottery expert tapping away at an antique vase etc

:Hat:

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”