Super Twin Issue

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Jeff Smith
Dace

Super Twin Issue

Post by Jeff Smith »

Chaps. I'm in the process of servicing a very tidy red label Super twin and have run up against a problem. The rotor is held on to the body with a nut which has a plastic enclosed ball race beneath it. As I tighten up the nut the rotor becomes difficult to turn and , if left loose,the rotating rotor simply tightens it up anyway. I'm either missing a part (shim?) or fitting the ball race incorrectly although ive tried it both ways round and it appears to make little difference.
Firstly. Has anyone got a schematic for one of these??? so I can at least check I have the right parts.

Paul D

Re: Super Twin Issue

Post by Paul D »

Think you need Nobby :Thumb:

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Jeff Smith wrote:Chaps. I'm in the process of servicing a very tidy red label Super twin and have run up against a problem. The rotor is held on to the body with a nut which has a plastic enclosed ball race beneath it. As I tighten up the nut the rotor becomes difficult to turn and , if left loose,the rotating rotor simply tightens it up anyway. I'm either missing a part (shim?) or fitting the ball race incorrectly although ive tried it both ways round and it appears to make little difference.
Firstly. Has anyone got a schematic for one of these??? so I can at least check I have the right parts.
There's a brass cover/washer that goes between the ballbearing and the nut - it has a flange on it so it slips over the ballbearing and partially encloses it - it rests on a ledge inside the rotor and prevents presure on the ball bearing. Is this part missing on yours ?

That said, my Intrepid Challenger has the exact same set-up but does not have the cover/washer and works fine but it is important that the lid part of the ball bearings facing inwards as this hold it firm and the nut keys to the other side of it - and do not overtighten as it looks like it could be easily damaged,
Last edited by Stingray on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

Thanks Stingray.It would appear that the flange you speak of is incorporated in the nut as one piece on mine(later model perhaps??. I've noted that the centre of the nut(where it abuts the spindle on the main body) was slightly concave suggesting that it has been over tightened at some time. Its quite soft brass? With some careful punch work ,I've managed to flatten it and by gently tightening it, everything now appears to work properly.
Actually, its quite a nice reel-bit of a modernised 'Elite' by the look of things.
I'd still like to see a schematic though.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Jeff Smith wrote:Thanks Stingray.It would appear that the flange you speak of is incorporated in the nut as one piece on mine(later model perhaps??. I've noted that the centre of the nut(where it abuts the spindle on the main body) was slightly concave suggesting that it has been over tightened at some time. Its quite soft brass? With some careful punch work ,I've managed to flatten it and by gently tightening it, everything now appears to work properly.
Actually, its quite a nice reel-bit of a modernised 'Elite' by the look of things.
No, Jeff - the nut has a flange too - I'm talking about a part you don't have.

PS. I was editing my 1st comment when you were replying.

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

Stingray wrote:
Jeff Smith wrote:Thanks Stingray.It would appear that the flange you speak of is incorporated in the nut as one piece on mine(later model perhaps??. I've noted that the centre of the nut(where it abuts the spindle on the main body) was slightly concave suggesting that it has been over tightened at some time. Its quite soft brass? With some careful punch work ,I've managed to flatten it and by gently tightening it, everything now appears to work properly.
No, Jeff - the nut has a flange too - I'm talking about a part you don't have.

PS. I was editing my 1st comment when you were replying.

Yes , you're absolutely right. That part is definitely missing. Are there any Intrepid enthusiasts who might have such parts??
Having said that, with the 'cover' facing downwards, It appears to work fine so, Like your Challenger, perhaps that washer was never fitted.
BTW, brilliant pictures...thanks for taking the time.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Yes, Jeff - knowing the way Intrepid often changed reels incrementally without telling anyone it is quite possible that yours never had that part. If so that would probably make it a slightly earlier version than mine the Challenger being the Super Twin's predecessor and yours being a little bit more like the Challenger. Also it's not the kind of part that could be easily broken or lost.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”