Is it an Intrepid

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Fred
Grayling

Is it an Intrepid

Post by Fred »

Hi, I am in need of some help. I bought this reel off the bay and could do with some help identifying it. It is called a TruSpin and says it is MADE IN ENGLAND BY K.P.MORRITT. All my other early Intrepid reels have made by K.P. MORRITT’S but this reel is missing the ‘s on the end of the name.
So is it an Intrepid, or was it made by Intrepid for some one ells, or is it an impostor pretending to be an Intrepid ?
I have had a look on the Intrepid sites that I know of and can’t find it. So dos any one out there have any idea.
Fred
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Is it an Intrepid

Post by AshbyCut »

It is, indeed, an K. P. Morritt reel ... but I believe that it's a late model produced after the factory moved from Cheam to Falmouth, and around the time that the company was taken over by Gladdings (perhaps late 1960's/early 1970's)

It's a 'boy's reel' (what they called the cheap stuff) with a bent wire bale arm ... and looks a bit like a cross between the earlier 'Envoy' and 'Monarch Mk.II' ... both of which were better reels, in my humble opinion.

My first reel was a Monarch Mk. II., which did me well for about 6 years ... catching everything from gudgeon to jack pike, and mackerel from Dorset beaches on family caravan holidays in the 60's.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Rojj
Stickleback

Post by Rojj »

Hi,
Yes, I had one of these - it was my first "serious" reel, after a "Little Kraka", I recall.
It was dire. Shortly after that I sourced a second-hand Mitchell ?304? from a schoolmate, and never looked back.
That must have been in the early 60's.
TTFN,
Rojj

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

Cheers lads I thought (hoped) in was from the Intrepid stables. I bought it because like you it was my first proper reel when I was about seven and that would be 1962 so it all fits nicely. I also picked up at a boot fair my first proper rod, a 10ft hole cane but and middle sections with a solid glass top and have restored it so I will put the two back together and fish the same stretch of the Medway that I used to back then.
Fred
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”