Intrepid "New De Luxe"

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Intrepid "New De Luxe"

Post by AshbyCut »

Harry H wrote:This might help with the date(add taken from Angling July 1968)

Thanks for that Harry, Sir !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

The above advert shows an early model which has an original, non-folding, handle and not the new folding handle variants which were to become standard for all Intrepid coarse reels - so I reason that the date this ad appeared was likely the date the New Deluxe appeared and it seems about right.

I think that the connection that is being drawn between the New Deluxe and Gladding is based only on coincidental date information and I think that the New Deluxe is actually very much a Morritt design which just coincides with the period of the Gladding takeover. If we are grouping the Intrepid reels into production periods then I would put the New Deluxe in the same "new" batch as the Prince Regent, the Challenger and the Super Twin (and the Extra of course which is just a big headed New Deluxe). Basically, these are all Morritt reels which just happened to be the ones in production when Gladding took over and not actually Gladding designs or even Gladding influenced designs - the first one which is definitely a Gladding design is the (new) Surfcast which is a Hong Kong built South Bend (Gladding) rebadge.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Stingray wrote:The above advert shows an early model which has an original, non-folding, handle and not the new folding handle variants which were to become standard for all Intrepid coarse reels - so I reason that the date this ad appeared was likely the date the New Deluxe appeared and it seems about right.

I think that the connection that is being drawn between the New Deluxe and Gladding is based only on coincidental date information and I think that the New Deluxe is actually very much a Morritt design which just coincides with the period of the Gladding takeover. If we are grouping the Intrepid reels into production periods then I would put the New Deluxe in the same "new" batch as the Prince Regent, the Challenger and the Super Twin (and the Extra of course which is just a big headed New Deluxe). Basically, these are all Morritt reels which just happened to be the ones in production when Gladding took over and not actually Gladding designs or even Gladding influenced designs - the first one which is definitely a Gladding design is the (new) Surfcast which is a Hong Kong built South Bend (Gladding) rebadge.
Was there any difference in badging ie Gladding marked on the reels?
When I looked in the phone book they were still listed as K P Morritt up until they finished in the 80s.
I think I've seen an advert for the surfcast as well? Will have a look. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Around about 1970ish most badges changed to (mostly ) rectangularish gold coloured stickers which faded quickly and that was certainly a post Gladding change - said sticker on the New Deluxe would be onthe opposite side to the one shown in the advert. Still it is difficult to say which changes that happened under Gladding were pushed for by Gladding and which might have happened anyway - hard to say how much autonomy Gladding granted to the companies they took over.

Surfcast - the original Surfcast was an excellent Morritt's design and basically a big Elite; the Surfcast that Gladding introduced to replace it was a rebadged Gladding South Bend 760a repainted a fetching black and renamed just Intrepid Surfcast (though I refer to it as (new) Surfcast)) - it was made in Hong Kong and not a nice reel compared to the original.
Last edited by Stingray on Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Stingray wrote:Around about 1970ish most badges changed to (mostly ) rectangularish gold coloured stickers which faded quickly and that was certainly a post Gladding change - said sticker on the New Deluxe whould be onthe opposite side to the one shown in the advert. Still it is difficult to say which changes that happened under Gladding were pushed for by Gladding and which might have happened anyway - hard to say how much autonomy Gladding granted to the companies they took over.

Surfcast - the original Surfcast was an excellent Morritt's design and basically a big Elite; the Surfcast that Gladding introduced to replace it was a rebadged Gladding South Bend 760a repainted a fetching black and renamed just Intrepid Surfcast (though I refer to it as (new) Surfcast)) - it was made in Hong Kong and not a nice reel compared to the original.
The last advert I have is in November 69 which is for the Buccaneer multiplier and proudly boasts a price of £7.2.6 " Because it is made in England, and free from import duty and freight costs who needs a foriegn reel now! " so I would assume the take over was 70s. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

George Sharman ( Carp and the Carp Angler ) used a pair of these after wearing out his Elites. He writes that although bought new, one was quite smooth in operation the other was as rough as old boots! I still believe the Continental to be the best reel in the Morritts stable using the worm shaft gearing as on Hardy's and Ambidexes.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Catfish.017 wrote:George Sharman ( Carp and the Carp Angler ) used a pair of these after wearing out his Elites. He writes that although bought new, one was quite smooth in operation the other was as rough as old boots! I still believe the Continental to be the best reel in the Morritts stable using the worm shaft gearing as on Hardy's and Ambidexes.
You once posted exactly the same comment about the Super Twin - which one was it ?

WhiteWolf
Minnow

Post by WhiteWolf »

Stingray wrote:Around about 1970ish most badges changed to (mostly ) rectangularish gold coloured stickers which faded quickly and that was certainly a post Gladding change - said sticker on the New Deluxe would be onthe opposite side to the one shown in the advert. Still it is difficult to say which changes that happened under Gladding were pushed for by Gladding and which might have happened anyway - hard to say how much autonomy Gladding granted to the companies they took over.

The sticker on mine is on the same side as in the advert. I don't know just how accurate that illustration is though because the bale arm looks a little different to the one on the one that I have.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

You're quite correct Stingray. Sorry a senior moment. It was the SuperTwin.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Catfish.017 wrote:You're quite correct Stingray. Sorry a senior moment. It was the SuperTwin.
Ahh, thanks - I thought it might be - the Super Twin is a bit more of an ambitious design than the New Deluxe - more to go wrong on it.

:Hat:

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”