Intrepid "New De Luxe"

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Stingray
Grayling

Re: Intrepid "New De Luxe"

Post by Stingray »

WhiteWolf wrote:The sticker on mine is on the same side as in the advert. I don't know just how accurate that illustration is though because the bale arm looks a little different to the one on the one that I have.
I have four of them at the moment (five if you include my "extra") and the bale in the picture is very like the one they have.

I see what you mean about the sticker - this might clear it up -

1) This silver coloured one is the original -

2) After this there was a gold coloured one that was the same size and shape and occupied the same space on the reel (not as nice as the original silver for me).

3) Then there was this type which took over on several reels circa 1970ish -

This one (on the opposite side of reel) was not a great badge from a design aspect and also wore/faded quickly as in this one which now has a blank space where it once said "Intrepid New Deluxe" in black inside a thin black border.

Another difference with badge 3) models is that the shallow recess on the reel body which the original badges 1) & 2) sat in was filled in thus the left side plate is very slightly different too.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

How do the Red handles fit into the scheme of things date wise?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Harry H wrote:How do the Red handles fit into the scheme of things date wise?
They were the earliest - also with red switch and red end cap. I always quite liked the red.

WhiteWolf
Minnow

Post by WhiteWolf »

I don't know if it's any help to you, but this is the reel that I told you about. Let me know if you need any more info.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Being a mad keen Intrepid New De Luxe fan (my favourite reel as a teenager), I wanted to resurect this old thread with some photos to cover those missing from Stingray's labels post (a forum member who I think shares similar experiences and feelings on these reels, and who has inspired me to collect these wonderful icons of 60's and 70's British angling, thank you sir).

So here are a few of mine, from the first New De Luxe model with the red plastic parts (very striking!.... if you will excuse the pun!), up to the last Gladding influenced label change (see Stingray's earlier comments).

I will say one thing though; if the gold label change came around 1970, then the reel I bought in 1974 must have been new old stock (very possible). It was identical to the one with the silver label and folding handle in the photo below (paddle grip, came in the all blue box), and I also picked up a red parts with gold label reel, which surely has to be a parts reel..?? See photo. I also agree with the silver label being a lot nicer than the easily worn text gold version.

Another one in the group has the handle from an Elite (I think). This may have been a replacement for a broken plastic folding version? (what was Morritt thinking when he introduced the plastic handle lock!? Those I have now, I am too afraid to snap into place for fear of breaking one... sigh!).

I also threw in a Bobcat for comparison, which unfortunately got inserted as the second photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

One of my passions is photography, and I couldn't help but gather my New De Luxe's together the other day for a family photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Rockape wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:51 am One of my passions is photography, and I couldn't help but gather my New De Luxe's together the other day for a family photo.
Holy moly, Rockape. That's fantastic. :Thumb:

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Stingray wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:57 am Holy moly, Rockape. That's fantastic. :Thumb:
Cheers Stingray, hopefully I can attempt an Intrepid Extra and Mitchell equivalent this weekend. It's always a pain setting everything up, but great fun to process and edit afterwards.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”