K P Morritt's Intrepid Continental.

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

K P Morritt's Intrepid Continental.

Post by AshbyCut »

It seems I may not have posted a picture of my examples of this reel (forgive my negligence), so here goes.

I found these reels in the bottom of a wicker basket of "old fishing tackle" I bought a while ago.

The green finished one came in it's original box with spare spool, and factory spool inserts which alter the line capacity, and is virtually mint.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: K P Morritt's Intrepid Continental.

Post by Marc »

I've always fancied a continental, the green one especially. They're very nice AC. The ones you generally see are quite rusted so take care..
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

PoD, Sir ... even the black, 'used' one is silky smooth with minimal paint loss.

Considering that the lot of 'used tackle' also included two rods ... and a wide drum speedia ... amongst other things ... for under £65 ... I was a very lucky lad.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Very lucky indeed AC. I think it's the reel stem, the little cleft. I have a few Morritts I think a continental will be next, or is that a Altex, or an Ariel, or a coxon..... When does it end? Never thankfully.... :Thumb:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

On the black reel you can see some paint loss where the bail are strikes the stem when you tighten up after casting PoD, Sir ... on the green one ... you can see a small black plastic insert at exactly that spot. A design fault identified and rectified.

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

Lovely reels AC, Sir, and the lot was quite a bargain, well done.

Isis
Perch

Post by Isis »

Continentals were a joy to use in those days. We converted ours to include a line roller cannibalised from Intrepid Elites when they first appeared. The ideal reel for carp and pike back in the early 1960s.
Mine were the green version and I still think the design looks good.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Well AC they did something similar to the Intrepid, I don't know if you saw mine in another thread? Notice the rubber sleeve on the stem. I've never seen another with it on, probably because they are quite perishable. This ones ok, but still a bit aged.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Interesting - the Continental's pick-up appears to rotate the way left-handers like it!
Can the handle be swapped over for right-hand wind? If so, I'll have to keep my peepers peeled!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

It is indeed 'ambidextrous,' Vole, Sir.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”