The National Vintage Fishing Tackle Fair - Sunday 12th May 2019

This is the place where forthcoming events like fishing tackle fairs, game fairs, book launches and similar events can be posted.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: The National Vintage Fishing Tackle Fair - Sunday 12th May 2019

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Lea Dweller wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:04 pm I was not teasing you about a Benny Ashurst Match rod being available yesterday, there usually is! I must confess to never having seen a 14 foot six version though, I would think it would be a bit heavy! I would definitely like to attend a Crucian day, I will watch out for news! :Hat:
LD The Benny Ashurst rods were ferruleless and the Trent version which I have is very light - I suspect the Benny Ashurst Match rod even at 14 foot 6 inches to be only marginally heavier but still what I would call light. I have a Billy Lane Match rod which has ferrules and that is substantially heavier than the Ashurst rod.

I will swop you my Oliver's glass rod for an Allcocks Benny Ashurst Match Rod complete with original bag and stoppers. Are you tempted?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Benny Ashurst rods - Trent at 12ft - Match at 14ft 6in. The Billy Lane "Mark III" Ferrule-less was 13 ft.

The Trent was designed for "long-trotting" according to the Allcocks catalogues for 1966 & 67. The Match rod for the canals.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Olly wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:30 pm Benny Ashurst rods - Trent at 12ft - Match at 14ft 6in. The Billy Lane "Mark III" Ferrule-less was 13 ft.

The Trent was designed for "long-trotting" according to the Allcocks catalogues for 1966 & 67. The Match rod for the canals.
I have never seen a Billy Lane Mk III ferrule - less rod I must admit - I bought my Billy Lane Match Combination rod in 1967/ 68 which has blued brass ferrules and can be fished in 13 foot form or 10 foot (possibly 10 foot 6) by using a separate handle and the two top sections of the rod. It came with a separate top incorporating an integral swing tip which I never really got on with.

Do you know what year the Billy Lane Mk III rod was introduced?

Arcadia
Ruffe

Post by Arcadia »

Ladies and Gentlemen

Thanks very much for making the trip to Redditch yesterday, we were a tiny bit down on numbers - a dozen or so - from last November but from the comments that were made to me on the desk but those going through the door I think everyone had a splendid time. I do hope so. Some stalls do pack up early and yesterday things were starting to wind down about 1pm which is par for the course at most fairs where stallholders travel long distances to stall out.

Once again I apologise for the absence of the Tea Van. At the end of the day I did pass on the comments about the time it took to get served and hopefully they'll be addressing this for November. Not making any promises but I will also be asking them if there is anything they can do in the bacon department....

John

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Hi PH - I too have not seen one as far as I can remember either! It was in the 1966 catalogue - but not in the 1967!

Perhaps someone could look in the 1964 or 1965 catalogues. The Billy Lane rods "hit the headlines in 1964" according to the 66 catalogue.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:15 pm
Lea Dweller wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:04 pm I was not teasing you about a Benny Ashurst Match rod being available yesterday, there usually is! I must confess to never having seen a 14 foot six version though, I would think it would be a bit heavy! I would definitely like to attend a Crucian day, I will watch out for news! :Hat:
LD The Benny Ashurst rods were ferruleless and the Trent version which I have is very light - I suspect the Benny Ashurst Match rod even at 14 foot 6 inches to be only marginally heavier but still what I would call light. I have a Billy Lane Match rod which has ferrules and that is substantially heavier than the Ashurst rod.

I will swop you my Oliver's glass rod for an Allcocks Benny Ashurst Match Rod complete with original bag and stoppers. Are you tempted?
Keith, please accept my apologies for a 'senior moment' you mentioned Benny Ashurst my brain said Billy Lane! Billy Lane Match rods are pretty common, Benny Ashurst much less so. I have owned a ferruless 13ft Billy Lane Match rod and found it to be a lot better than the metal ferruled version, although I sold it some years ago when I got an Olivers glass rod! Sorry again for the mix up!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Another enjoyable trip to Redditch on Sunday.
It was great meeting up with fellow members again and a few more faces put to names. I also picked up a few nice bits and pieces and some restoration work so I am going to be very busy now until the season starts again.

Wal.

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Yes Redditch was a tad Quite but did manage to sell a few bits but there was some very disappointed traders that did not do so well.But the trade has dropped back,lets hope that things improve before the end of year.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Lea Dweller wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:38 pm It was good to see so many old and new faces at Redditch today, I saw Keith (Pershore Harrier) enjoying a cuppa pre entrance to the fair, that was the last time I saw him! :tea: Great meeting Paul F, Wal, Bob Brookes, Phil (Tengisgol) and many others, it was very enjoyable. I collected a lovely Black Leather pouch from Andy for my Watermole+ reel, sold a good number of glass rods to our friends from Germany and all in all had a fine time! I am looking forward to a few TFF fishing or social get togethers this year, there is never enough time to talk! :Hat:
Just a quick ‘ditto’...it was great to catch up with some friends and characters! All the best.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Did anyone take any pictures of the event it would be lovely to see some.. so I can see what I have missed yet again.

Return to “Fishing Tackle, Game Fairs and Other Events”