Romsey 30th September

This is the place where forthcoming events like fishing tackle fairs, game fairs, book launches and similar events can be posted.
DaceAce
Eel

Re: Romsey 30th September

Post by DaceAce »

CrayCane wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:51 am Many thanks Mark, I'll check out the alternatives. Not going to the tackle fair but I am going to Saturday's auction.
Pete
Actually closed Junction 4 to Junction 3, and, you couldn't make this up, buses instead of trains at Southampton!

Might be better coming in from Stockbridge?

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

DaceAce wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:38 am
CrayCane wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:51 am Many thanks Mark, I'll check out the alternatives. Not going to the tackle fair but I am going to Saturday's auction.
Pete
Actually closed Junction 4 to Junction 3, and, you couldn't make this up, buses instead of trains at Southampton!

Might be better coming in from Stockbridge?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Plenty of traffic jams around the area at present including in and around Romsey but should be OK early tomorrow.

BTW I have a book for Stour Otter....

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Just to let folk know, that due to a bad chest infection, I wont be attending. I have been advised to rest for a week or so.
For those who have expressed interest in items, I will contact asap. If anyone was interested in anything, please contact me.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

DaceAce wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:02 am Plenty of traffic jams around the area at present including in and around Romsey but should be OK early tomorrow.

BTW I have a book for Stour Otter....
Excellent!
Michael wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:17 am Just to let folk know, that due to a bad chest infection, I wont be attending. I have been advised to rest for a week or so.
For those who have expressed interest in items, I will contact asap. If anyone was interested in anything, please contact me.
Get well soon Michael.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

This excellent Vintage Tackle Fair never seems to disappoint. Sadly the foot fall was a little light this time for obvious reasons, with the up side of a few move bargains for the rest of us. Managed to find another winter project in the form a hollow built, eleven foot, 3-piece split cane float rod called "The Sheffield " by W. G. Dawson, requiring a new top section, but will be a joy to use once completed.
DaceAce kindly presented me with a copy of "Roach 2" so I now have the set and can certainly see myself turning these pages while waiting for the flood water to subside.
I would like to thank Mr Crabtree for Ken Sutton's fascinating pamphlet produced by the Angling Times in 1960 called "Angling In The News", detailing his early attraction to fishing, the print industry (my own background), his first meeting with Bernard Venables at the Express and the birth of Mr Crabtree, when Bernard moved to the Daily Mirror. Well worth hunting out a copy.
Meeting up with Lea Dweller, Fredline and Fred was a real bonus, highly enjoyable chats. I wish Chubman my very best and a speedy recovery from his injury, I am sure he will be back chasing those finny fella's soon.
Steve tells me he has booked the next Vintage Fair for April 2019.

Stour Otter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Stour Otter wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:18 am This excellent Vintage Tackle Fair never seems to disappoint. Sadly the foot fall was a little light this time for obvious reasons, with the up side of a few move bargains for the rest of us. Managed to find another winter project in the form a hollow built, eleven foot, 3-piece split cane float rod called "The Sheffield " by W. G. Dawson, requiring a new top section, but will be a joy to use once completed.
DaceAce kindly presented me with a copy of "Roach 2" so I now have the set and can certainly see myself turning these pages while waiting for the flood water to subside.
I would like to thank Mr Crabtree for Ken Sutton's fascinating pamphlet produced by the Angling Times in 1960 called "Angling In The News", detailing his early attraction to fishing, the print industry (my own background), his first meeting with Bernard Venables at the Express and the birth of Mr Crabtree, when Bernard moved to the Daily Mirror. Well worth hunting out a copy.
Meeting up with Lea Dweller, Fredline and Fred was a real bonus, highly enjoyable chats. I wish Chubman my very best and a speedy recovery from his injury, I am sure he will be back chasing those finny fella's soon.
Steve tells me he has booked the next Vintage Fair for April 2019.

Stour Otter
It was great to see you John, I did like the shirt! It is always nice to see new TFF faces and have a chat, as well as seeing established friends like yourself. Mr Crabtree certainly has the knack of finding an array of fine items, it was nice to see him again also. The anticipated problems with getting to Romsey did not arise, we followed the diversion signs on the way from London and made good time. On leaving Romsey, the diversion sign were just being removed as we approached the Motorway, good timing eh! :Ok:

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

Well although the footfall was a lot lower than usual I still enjoyed selling there and had a great time though I didn't have any real opportunity to visit the other stall holders.Just a quick word with Nobby and back to my own stall. It was also good to talk with some of the Forum members, wearing the TFF badge is such a great idea to get people talking.
Stour Otter hopefully we will get together soon either fishing or working on the river bank and enjoy the "Angling in The News".
Nobby I will get in touch when I think conditions are right for a spot of grayling fishing.
Lea Dweller I think it was you asking about the "Arun" rod and the correct length. I was wondering if you were confusing my rod which is a Marco Elasticane Arun 10' 6" and hopefully that is right with a Chapman's Arun which I believe should be 12'?

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

MrCrabtree wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:20 pm Well although the footfall was a lot lower than usual I still enjoyed selling there and had a great time though I didn't have any real opportunity to visit the other stall holders.Just a quick word with Nobby and back to my own stall. It was also good to talk with some of the Forum members, wearing the TFF badge is such a great idea to get people talking.
Stour Otter hopefully we will get together soon either fishing or working on the river bank and enjoy the "Angling in The News".
Nobby I will get in touch when I think conditions are right for a spot of grayling fishing.
Lea Dweller I think it was you asking about the "Arun" rod and the correct length. I was wondering if you were confusing my rod which is a Marco Elasticane Arun 10' 6" and hopefully that is right with a Chapman's Arun which I believe should be 12'?
It was great to see you and have a brief chat! I had heard good things about an 'Arun' rod and was told that you had one, which is why I came to look. I was under the impression that it was a 12ft rod, so I may be confusing it with another rod? I am pretty sure that Chapman's did not make an Arun in any length. Congratulations on the range of rods, reels and other items that you had, no wonder you were busy! :Hat:

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Romsey was the quietest Ive seen it, but that was mostly down to the closing of the M27 for the weekend, I think. It was great to match up a few faces with forum names. You and I had a quick chat about Grayling and Nobby, but it turns out that we were referring to too different Nobby's, who just happened to be standing near each other at the time. what are the chances!
A great day though and came home fully loaded with stuff that I definitely needed :whistle: Fortunately the wife is away at present!
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Return to “Fishing Tackle, Game Fairs and Other Events”