DAM Quick 440N

The DAM Reels forum.
Jeff Smith
Dace

DAM Quick 440N

Post by Jeff Smith »

I've just purchased a very fine example of this very well made reel from 'that' auction site for the princely sum of nineteen pounds!!! Bit of a bargain really. It s the perfect size for piking with baits or surf bassing and I'm intending to use it for both disciplines. However, a little bit of cleaning and tweaking will need to be done first. Does anyone have a schematic for this reel? (Its different from the 440)I need to check its drag washer sequence and indeed, if they are all there.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: DAM Quick 440N

Post by OldTackle »

I can't guarantee Jeff, but I have a 220N here and will have a check at the package. I found no schematics in the net.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

Thanks Chris, appreciated. I couldn't find any either. Apart from the 550N which doesn't have a push button spool, I suspect that all the 'n' models will have a similar drag set up.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Hi Jeff.

Here is the package of a 220N. Hope that helps you. Watch the spring wire. Very easy to be lost in the orbit.

Best of luck. Hope you didn't get a conglomerate at this very low price.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

Brilliant Chris-many thanks. You should also have a fibre 'hex' washer under the spool. There is a recess for it.My drag stack looks to be complete so I will copy the fibre washers in carbon sheet and grease them up with some Cal's. The only part I have missing is the chrome cover on the drag knob. But this doesn't seem to affect how well it works. Apparently the drags on these reels can work quite well for their age if tricked up in this way.
Conglomerate?? Not with you mate.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Wed May 06, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

If you are sure, you hold a bargain. What about cosmetics?

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

Couple of chips on the paint is all. The grease inside was solid so I swilled it out with some solvent and coated the gears with marine grease. She now runs smooth as silk with no wear on the components-a VERY well constructed reel that was obviously built to last. These reels rarely come up for sale in the U.K although in your country and the U.S , they are quite popular I understand.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

That's maybe why I was asked to search for some specific reels. I agree, they were built to last, but still there are many cheating people here in my country as well and by purchasing online you can never look inside a reel. Same as for waggle a cane rod. I am right at my beginning, but I am now constantly searching for good examples and I am paying best prices for best examples. Then I service them intensively to make sure they will have best chances to last a few more decades. I suggested to offer them to TFF members only. Preferred to those who got annoyed by the bay of E. I can clearly tell that you got a true bargain there. Normally you get a fifty fifty chance and only if you have a very experienced eye.
Well done, Sir!
Last edited by OldTackle on Wed May 06, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Jeff Smith wrote:These reels rarely come up for sale in the U.K although in your country and the U.S , they are quite popular I understand.
That's true - DAM exports mostly went to the USA - the UK was virtually bypassed.

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

I remember the 550N (saltwater size) being reviewed very favourably indeed when it first appeared on the market, possibly in the late 70s early 80s. In those days the product was actually used (photos on the beach and loaded with line)and properly tested which I suspect does not go on in the angling publications nowadays. Despite the reviewers praise, I didn't ever come across the reel being used, nor on sale in any U.K tackle shop.

Return to “DAM Reels”