Mordex Ideal Float Fishing Rod

The Mordex Rods forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Mordex Ideal Float Fishing Rod

Post by Mark »

Can anyone shed any light on the Mordex Ideal Float Fishing Rod. I have just won one on ebay, I bid for it late one night after coming in from the pub after one too many pints. Ebay and drinking do not mix, but I suppose for £32 it's not that bad a purchase.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120824096484? ... 1439.l2649
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Mordex Ideal Float Fishing Rod

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

You lucky bugger!! Why can't I ever find anything like that!!?? :hairout:

Good find thought mate, looks like it would make a superb general float fishing rod. :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

DontKnowMuch
Roach

Post by DontKnowMuch »

Oh dear Mark

I hope you're ready for a full refurbishment job this winter.

I returned this rod to the buyer for a refund (after much abuse and threatening from the seller I went through ebay). I'll not list its faults but I bought it from it's first listing and the description which said that it only needed a couple of reel fittings to make it useable.

Good luck fella :hat:

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I've had a thought, would it be handy to have a dedicated thread for posting up rods you are thinking of buying on ebay\other sites so the more knowledgeable members among us can have a quick look and say if they think they are worth it or not?

Maybe we could also include members ebay accounts so we know if we are buying off a fellow member or competing for a rod with a fellow member, we could also include an "Avoid" list or somthing.

Just a thought, don’t pay any attention if it’s a mad one. :tongue:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Dontknowmuch wrote: I'll not list its faults
But if you click on the eBay seller's negative feedback, you'll see said list of faults!

:twisted:

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

It's not a good idea to post on a public site about Ebay auctions. It has been noted elsewhere that discussions on sites like this do tend to drive the prices up. Post about Ebay sellers on public forums aren't a good idea either.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Good point, knew it was a stupid idea. :(
"piscator non solum piscatur"

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Not a stupid idea J.T, just that you may be promoting competition for yourself and end up paying over the odds for it. Best to do your homework and keep it to yourself. :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

My opinion is this, I will pay what I am willing to pay, I dont really care about market values, id be buying a rod or reel because I want to own and use it. I am currently thinking of buying a rod to restore so I would have quite happily paid that sort of price for a rod that needs some work.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well there's work and there's work John.

My latest aquisition, described as in 'good condition', had both ferrule counters split, a bad bend in the handle under the cork, all rings partly rusted away. and scrap for the tip and butt rings. Six inches of tip de-laminated and four of the joint section. Not to mention a spiral set that took most of the morning to straighten out in the tip.

It took all day to remove a counter from a scrap rod, fit it to the new rod and lap it to fit, and I doubt I'll be able to hold a cup of tea tomorrow, so hard is it on the wrists :cry:

I damn near returned it to the seller as I paid top money for it, but the sense of satisfaction when it is done will be immense. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel on this one and I will finish it eventually.

I might get my money back, but not much more.........

Return to “Mordex Cane Rods”