Mordex Ideal, suitable for chub?

The Mordex Rods forum.
River Roach

Mordex Ideal, suitable for chub?

Post by River Roach »

This being my first season fishing with tradition tackle I am still catching up. A lot of fishing I want to do I have to make do with the tackle I have.
I have a big Sunday session planned for this weekend. My first day out with a good friend, he is a very successful specimen hunter and chub are his favourite.

He is taking me out on the search for chub. Most of his recent trips have found him landing up to 10 fish all over the 5lb mark.
The only rod I own that I believe might be suitable is my Mordex Ideal.
Does anyone have any experience with this rod. If so do you think it could cope with a day of big chub?
I would hate to have my PB chub on the c word (c**bon) :Hahaha:

Woolly Bear
Chub

Re: Mordex Ideal, suitable for chub?

Post by Woolly Bear »

River Roach, your mordex Sounds ideal for the job :Chuckle: . Seriously use what you think is suitable as long as its matching tackle and the right balance for Chubb it will be ok . I have taken friends out fishing with their unsuitable gear and they have done better than I . Thought I would answer your post because no one else did . Regards . Woolly Bear . :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I think that the Mordex 'Ideal' is a good, workman-like, solid, all-round rod. Use it and enjoy it.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

River Roach

Post by River Roach »

Thanks fellas
I just didn't want it to ruin a good opportunity. I think I was just scared off a little when he advised me to use 8lb line and a size 4 hook. I would be much more inclined to use a 5/6 lb mainline 3/5 lb hook link. I wouldn't be to worried about taking on a 5lb carp with that so I'm sure a big chub won't be to much carefully played?

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

8lb LINE FOR CHUB!! Bloody hell! That's going some! 3lb'll land most.... So land as that line and ros are balanced anyway!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

River Roach

Post by River Roach »

He is all about the gear though and after months of hunting for that 7lber I guess the last thing you wanna do is get snapped up landing it. Il let you know how I get on

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Ten chub all over 5lbs in a day? If you want someone to come and give you some tackle advice on the day....... :Cool:

As for breaking strain line for chub, I think it depends on where you fish, on the Wye I use 8lb for chub and 10lb for barbel purely because of the vast amount of snags, if you get caught up on a rock any lighter line will mean totally retackling after you've pulled for an inevitable break.

River Roach

Post by River Roach »

I'm hoping tomorrow will be a good door opener. He has access to a lot of private stretches. An in a mainly small river like the wensum, I know where I would be if I where a chub. Defiantly not in the over fished very public stretches. I do belive it's it's quite snaggy, but I'd much rather re tackle than snap cane :)

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

With chub over 9lb now - who knows what line strength is needed?

Return to “Mordex Cane Rods”