The Mordex 'Witham'. Anything known?

The Mordex Rods forum.
Flightliner

Re: The Mordex 'Witham'. Anything known?

Post by Flightliner »

Stathamender wrote:
I believe the firm "Mordex" was in Sheffield just half way between the midland station and granville road, walking from the station it was on the left and had/has a big arched entrance, its still there.
As you'll know, that part of Sheffield has been knocked about a lot in recent years is this https://www.google.fr/maps/@53.375845,- ... ut_L0Q!2e0 the place you mean?
Stathamender, a thousand apologies , but I missed your post /request above.
Yes, thats the place if my memory serves me correct.

AndyPop
Silver Bream

Post by AndyPop »

Having had a rummage in the garage I have found an earlier "Witham". Black Staines whole cane butt, mid section whole cane spliced into built cane for last 8"or so with a split cane tip section. Lined butt & tip rings. Another bought for restoration in...... :Hahaha:
"Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

AndyPop wrote:Having had a rummage in the garage I have found an earlier "Witham". Black Staines whole cane butt, mid section whole cane spliced into built cane for last 8"or so with a split cane tip section. Lined butt & tip rings. Another bought for restoration in...... :Hahaha:
Any chance of some pictures? There was a Mordex Royle Seal 'Envoy' sitting on the dock of the Bay recently that was also black stained. Whole cane bottom joints, glass top joint. I've recently acquired a wholly built cane Mordex (something of a rarity in my experience) 11' "Popular De Luxe" (Mordex's naming strategy seems to have been unfailingly bizarre). It's obviously been completely refurbed in recent years, is in very good nick and, thankfully, was either not dyed/stained originally or has been cleaned up in the refurb.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Vole wrote:Ah, so not to be risked when carp are likely!
I confess a liking for the "Thames action" with quite a long splice of Tonkin or similar, but the tip-action rods certainly had their place back in the days of matches won with roach and dace.
But of course the Mordex will bend but it will not break! :Cool:
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Mordex Cane Rods”