Mordex unknown model.

The Mordex Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Mordex unknown model.

Post by AshbyCut »

When I recently gave LuckyLuca a Sealey 'Octofloat' middle section he needed, he insisted I accept a 'car boot find' 11 ft Mordex 'Ideal' in need of a total strip in exchange.

It needs a full set of new ferrules ... so when I saw a "10ft 6in Black Seal" on a certain auction site, I didn't look too closely ... and assumed that it was an "Ideal" with 6 inches missing off the tip ... and won it for very little money, thinking I could make a half decent rod out of the two.

It arrived today ... and it's certainly NOT what I thought it was. "The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft aglae," as Mr. Burns said.

It's Mordex, certainly ... as most of the maker's transfer is there ... but it has no model name written on it.

It has split cane butt and middle sections ... but with a fibre glass tip ... and the cane sections are much more powerful than the 'Ideal.' For example ... at equal points along the butt section this one tapers from 14.0mm to 12.7mm, whereas the 'Ideal' tapers from 12.6mm to 11.4mm.

The tip section is 3 feet long ... and tapers sharply from 7.15mm to 2.15mm. ... making it very 'tippy.' indeed.

The handle is 21 3/4 inches long (including the plastic 'button'), as opposed to the 'Ideal's' 18 inches ... and this one has low bell guides throughout as opposed to the 'Ideal's' high bells.

The whipping on the fibre glass tip is identical to the other two sections ... so I'm now wondering if it was originally a 'combination' rod, with a full length float tip and a shorter ledger tip ... so if anyone knows if Mordex ever made such a rod I'd be glad to hear of it.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Mordex unknown model.

Post by Nobby »

That's Royal Seal, Mal, Black Seal was R G Edwards of Carshalton, Surrey....though Lords knows who actually made them......nearby Pegley-Davies or FT Williams?

I've yet to see any Mordex paperwork, but it must exist....mustn't it?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

You're correct Nobby, Sir ... but when I said "Black Seal" I misquoted the description on the listing ... the rod is indeed "Royle Seal" and therefore Mordex of Sheffield.

It's almost time for my bi-annual eye test, I fear !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It's probably my fault Mal. I'm sure I blabbered on about Black Seal and Royal Seal some years ago on a forum and got them the wrong way around..... :oops:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Sometimes Nobby, Sir, I think we see what we 'expect' to see ... rather than what's actually there.

A fine example is that the spelling is actually "Royle Seal Brand" on the transfer ... and I'd never looked closely enough before to register that ! :Brickwall:

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

I like the latin motto - 'flectes non frangas' - which (google confirmed my suspicion) means 'bend do not break'
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Return to “Mordex Cane Rods”