Mordex Black Seal rod

The Mordex Rods forum.
JohnL

Re: Mordex Black Seal rod

Post by JohnL »

I rather like the finish you have achieved on those, I presume it was the plain finish paint not the hammered.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

It says the following on the tin: Hammerite Direct to Rust Metal Paint Smooth Black. Hope that answers your question. The finish was quite glossy so I had to buff down with 0000 wire wool (still scratches very easily) and some gentle rubbing with brasso.

The finish seems quite tough but we will see in use, if it chips I'll probably coat with varnish.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I've fished for Barbel for a few years now.

After using this rod and finding out just how nice it is to play a carp on, also hearing of other's accounts of landing bigger carp on them. It's got me wondering if they'll sucessfully land a barbel (from a river). Anyone caught one on a black seal?

I know what people will say now and don't worry, I'm well aware that these rods probably wouldn't cast a 2oz lead but then I'm talking about in the summer months not winter when the rivers are in flood. Anyway, I'd like to know the proper usage of these rods, I've seen and owned avon rods. I would call these a general purpose rod. I'd like to hear other peoples take on them.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Oh well. :(

I'm loving using this rod. I had fun with it yesterday fishing for surface carp, on my new club water. I'll do a full write up later but I caught a couple of nice carp, one on the mk IV and my first on a centre pin reel and the other on the black seal. Both rods were a joy to use and play carp on.

Izaak Walton

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

As we all know.. I'm a fan of the Black Seal. From the way they handle carp I assume they would handle barbel too. Although I still have not caught a barbel! :Cry: :Cry: :Cry:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

As Maggotdrowner suggested, I got around to cleaning the handle of my Black Seal rod today and uncovered some writing stamped into the cork handle. It read, Product of Sweden followed by a serial number. I tried to get a photo of it but it's not easy indoors.

Izaak Walton

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I did once read that two brothers touted Black Seal products from a van as they drove around the Southern UK and that they bought all their tackle in. I guess that tie in with your find.

I have some images giving addresses around the Wallington and Carshalton areas of Northern Surrey for them.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I am just in the process of finishing a Black Seal refurb (three coats of banana oil so far). The ferrules were rubbish so they have been replaced but the rest of it looks quite good indeed and it seems like the cane is pretty damn good too (at the price) and a very useful and strong barbel rod will it make. Photos to follow when finished.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

The ferrules are the worst part about them Phil, Mine were cracked when it came to me and they got replaced straight away.

Bob Roberts and Hermit both had a waggle of it when they were up and they both thought it to be a bit of a beast.

I've had Carp to 9lb on mine so far. When you play them all you need do is to stretch your arm out and turn the opposite way to the fish's run, there's a lovely bounce in the tip as the rod cushions those runs.

I'm sure you'll love it. :Hat:

Nobby, that's very interesting. They're one of the companies I'd love to find more information on. Any idea where you read about them?

Izaak Walton

Return to “Mordex Cane Rods”