Black Seal on eBay.

The Mordex Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Black Seal on eBay.

Post by AshbyCut »

MGs wrote:I have seen a 12' unrestored Black Seal at one of our local markets. Looked and felt like a bit of a beast, 3 section split cane
That's 60's Sheffield engineering for you, Sir ! :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Looking at the ringing, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Salmon rod. it would go some way to explaining what it is doing in this part of the world
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

What a surprise, I won it and it will fit nicely into my split cane spinning rod collection. Needs restoring a tad but for that price I think my punt paid off.

Also bagged a mystery 91/2' pike rod which I'm not too sure about!! Will post details tomorrow for possible ID, but the lenght will suit pikeing from my boat.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

AshbyCut wrote: As for the glass rod, it's a gift ... I'll PM you.
A very kind gesture, AC. :cheers: I'll read the PM shortly. :)
JohnL wrote:Hi MD,
The Black Seal label went on a variety of rods made by Mordex, spin, fly, coarse, I have never seen one with a model labelled. The one you have is probably between 1 1/4 lb and 1 1/2 lb test curve - I have two others the same and they are my main "big fish" rods. Remember though the rods were not made in test curves in those days and you also have to take account of the action, in this case parabolic which is what makes them most suitable for tench, carp, barbel etc.
I am quite surprised by the levels of power you suggest. I don't doubt it for a minute though. I assumed they would fall below the mkIV, but your figures would put a Black Seal the same or just below a mkIV at 1 1/2 LB. Perhaps I should look for something a little more stout for bigger fish than a mkIV, like an SU mkIV... If only. This is based on a fight with a couple of scrappy commons to about 10lb. I'm sure another salmon spinner will do the job just as well. How Yates ever landed any of those monsters on light rods I'll never know.

Perhaps my underestimation of power of mkIVs is because I am a new comer to cane and am more used to wielding overpowered carbon? I mean I don't wave broom handles and sea reels about, like a lot of the carbon kings, but I think that might be the reason.
BigFish wrote:What a surprise, I won it and it will fit nicely into my split cane spinning rod collection. Needs restoring a tad but for that price I think my punt paid off.

Pleased you got it, BigFish. I look forward to hearing about it being used!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

JohnL wrote:Hi MD,
The Black Seal label went on a variety of rods made by Mordex, spin, fly, coarse, I have never seen one with a model labelled. The one you have is probably between 1 1/4 lb and 1 1/2 lb test curve - I have two others the same and they are my main "big fish" rods. Remember though the rods were not made in test curves in those days and you also have to take account of the action, in this case parabolic which is what makes them most suitable for tench, carp, barbel etc.

I'd love to know more about action of cane rods. It's an area where my knowledge is fairly lacking.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks MD! I was drawn to those intermediate rings, just hope the cane is good!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

yes, those rings can fetch a bit on their own. I had fears that the winner might just buy the rod, strip the rings and chuck the blank in the bin. But thankfully not. :Thumb:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

MaggotDrowner wrote:I'd love to know more about action of cane rods. It's an area where my knowledge is fairly lacking.
Maybe a beginning, Sir ...

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

MD -- Looking at the above it is very very roughly --- -

Slow bend = all split cane
Medium action = whole cane butt - middle and top split cane
Fast Action = whole cane butt & middle and split cane top joint

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

That 11' black seal looks nice.