Black Seal on eBay.

The Mordex Rods forum.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Black Seal on eBay.

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I have and use a Black Seal - a much underrated rod if you ask me - and I'd love a second (to make a pair) for when I go chasing tench at night with the chance of a modest carp.

I have been watching this one on eBay that is going cheap because it looks like it needs a little work. However I have just noticed the length. It should be, I think, 11ft. But when asked the seller has said that it is 88 inches, which is only 7 and a bit feet.

I always thought Black Seal made just the one rod - the 11fter that I own. Did they make more then? The rod looks to be the correct length in the photographs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141124749720? ... 1423.l2649

While we are talking about them, does anyone know the approximate test curve of a 11ft Black Seal. I want to know so I have something to compare against when I start looking for a mkIV style rod in the new year.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Black Seal on eBay.

Post by AshbyCut »

Mordex of Sheffield made many rods of many specifications, as well as the range of reels like the Merlin and Major ... not only in cane, but also later in fibre glass.

I have a 12ft 3in Mordex fibre glass rod in need of guides which you're welcome to, MD.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Hi AC.

I ask the question not because I was looking to buy, especially when I found out the length. But because I was curious. I remember being told that Black Seal was made on its own by one manufacturer. Now that I think about it though I may be confusing it with a company called Royal Seal / Black Seal or something similar? :Confused:

I could also be talking nonsense. Just before I was saying that "we have no luck growing sprouts because they get eaten by cabbages", when what I really wanted to say was that they get eaten by caterpillars. Not sure what went wrong in my brain when that happened, but it got a big laugh. :oops:

What sort of strength is the glass rod you have? What species is it fit for? I may think about it if you still have it in January - (which is when my next batch of student pennies arrive).
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I may be totally wrong but I thought that Black Seal and Royle Seal were both made by Mordex ... but I' sure those with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong (it wouldn't be the first or last time).

As for the glass rod, it's a gift ... I'll PM you.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Hi MD,
The Black Seal label went on a variety of rods made by Mordex, spin, fly, coarse, I have never seen one with a model labelled. The one you have is probably between 1 1/4 lb and 1 1/2 lb test curve - I have two others the same and they are my main "big fish" rods. Remember though the rods were not made in test curves in those days and you also have to take account of the action, in this case parabolic which is what makes them most suitable for tench, carp, barbel etc.

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

AshbyCut wrote:I may be totally wrong but I thought that Black Seal and Royle Seal were both made by Mordex ... but I' sure those with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong (it wouldn't be the first or last time).

As for the glass rod, it's a gift ... I'll PM you.
I'm pretty sure you are right there AC.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks MD for pointing this out; I bid on this rod days ago when I had a punt on 6 different rods, so if I do'nt win I know who to blame!! Already lost out on 4 that I bid on!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

An 11' one has just appeared, looks in good condition so bidding might get silly but you never know.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11-Split-Cane ... item58a887

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

The one MD pointed out is a spinning rod!! And I'm bidding on it so please do'nt hike the price! :Cool: I actually bid a few days ago!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have seen a 12' unrestored Black Seal at one of our local markets. Looked and felt like a bit of a beast, 3 section split cane
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Mordex Cane Rods”