Hardy Prince/Golden Prince - line capacity.

The Hardy Reels forum.
SlimJim
Ruffe

Hardy Prince/Golden Prince - line capacity.

Post by SlimJim »

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping for some guidance please regarding the capacity of the 5/6 and 7/8 model Hardy Prince fly reels (or the 'Golden Prince' for that matter as I think they are the same size)?

I am looking for a reel to carry a DT #6 line with enough backing for occasional stillwater/reservoir use - plus the usual river duties.

In general I've found (like with some other makes) that Hardy seem to overestimate their sizing - i.e. a Hardy Ultralite Disc #5 is actually better suited to a 4 weight DT line. I was wondering therefore whether I should go for the larger 7/8 model Prince to easily take the 6 weight DT line plus plenty of backing?

Any words of wisdom or shared experience much appreciated. Many thanks.

ATB,

Jim

PS: I do realise that the need for backing is sadly a rare phenomenon...however I do like to put a decent thickness of backing on a reel simply to increase the arbor size a bit - which I think helps with retrieve rate, and with reducing line memory.

SlimJim
Ruffe

Re: Hardy Prince/Golden Prince - line capacity.

Post by SlimJim »

An update on my earlier post - and I may have answered my own question!

I've just spotted this Hardy Golden Prince 5/6 on 'that large auction website'...in one of the photos it is obvious that the reel in question is loaded with a Cortland 444 DT four-weight line...with what looks like a perfectly reasonable amount of backing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hardy-The-Go ... Swh4dczaID

After seeing this, I really can't imagine that the 5/6 model will hold a DT#6 line with any meaningful amount of backing...so I guess it's the 7/8 model I need.

Obviously please feel free to chip in with any further advice or words of wisdom.

All the best,

Jim

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I suspect it's because modern floating lines float higher (so have to be less dense, so the same weight takes up more room) than the old silk lines which seem to have relied on their fat/grease content to (just) float.
Silk would have been the "In" thing when Hardy first sized their reels.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

SlimJim
Ruffe

Post by SlimJim »

Hi Vole

Thanks for that - good point. I must admit I’ve always avoided the whole silk line thing...not sure the good lady wife would appreciate great loops of greasy ‘string’ hanging up all around the house!

I am intrigued to know how they fish though...maybe one day!

Jim

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

How they fish... low in the water, from (distant) memory. It takes a long pull to get them airborne.
Once up, being almost as dense as an intermediate, they cut through the air better than a modern high-floater.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Vole wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:38 am How they fish... low in the water, from (distant) memory. It takes a long pull to get them airborne.
Once up, being almost as dense as an intermediate, they cut through the air better than a modern high-floater.
I find silk lines (when properly treated) much easier to lift from the water than my modern plastic lines and they produce much less disturbance. Also mending is easier for me with silk lines. When well treated they float high.
Bobby

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

As an impoverished schoolboy in the 1960s, my line treatment - an occasional rub with mucilin - probably left quite a lot to be desired!
Where should SlimJim (and I, if I ever get my fly mojo back) look for up-to-date advice?

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I'd go with the larger size reel to fit a DT6 plus backing. I use Cortland 444 peach floating lines and they do take up quite bit of space, especially in DT format. As a general rule I find most stated reel capacities hopelessly optimistic, even when using the thinest available braided backing. I agree with you that Hardy are at least one size out so you need a 7 reel to take a 6 line. I take my lines off their spools and store them on large plastic drums between trips.

However, all that written when reservoir fishing the only time I ever really see the backing is when fishing on the rudder with a slow sinking line.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Vole wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:43 pm As an impoverished schoolboy in the 1960s, my line treatment - an occasional rub with mucilin - probably left quite a lot to be desired!
Where should SlimJim (and I, if I ever get my fly mojo back) look for up-to-date advice?
I use red mucilin. I let dry after fishing, coat, store in a paper bag and coat again the evening before I go fishing. Sounds a lot of hassle but takes actually not more than a few minutes. Here some advise on how to store the line, thanks to watermole, Sean and OldTackle:

viewtopic.php?f=116&t=25786&p=345399&hi ... lk#p345399

Success, Bobby

SlimJim
Ruffe

Post by SlimJim »

Oh crikey - so here I am, at the top of yet another slippery slope!

Do I really need to start experimenting with silk lines?? After years of trying a range of plastic lines (and settling on the reliable performance and faultless service from Mike Barrio), I’m not sure that I should start playing with silk...but maybe, just maybe, I’ve been missing out for all these years...oh heck.

Great fun all this lark isn’t it!?

Tight lines to all - thanks again for all your comments and words of wisdom!

Jim (genuinely quite ‘slim’)!

Return to “Hardy Reels”