Altex reel use?

The Hardy Reels forum.
Cat
Chub

Altex reel use?

Post by Cat »

Evening All,
Just wondering if anyone uses an Altex as their regular 'go-to' reel, or are they kept for special occasions...sun shining, dry, no dust in the air type days as a treat? Appreciating the paucity of spares, value, difficulty of full strip down servicing, and the fact that the youngest of the breed is the same age as myself. I'm not worried about it / them staying pretty, just functional if looked after (as far as is servicably possible) - mine being good, snappy and smooth functionally, but I'm concerned about the durability in respect of regular use. I'm thinking of putting a No2 Mk5 onto a Hardy glass Avon for tench, moderate carp, etc.
Opinions appreciated.
Thanks Cat

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Re: Altex reel use?

Post by Bobby Marlene »

I use mine whenever I like. These are very good reels, no problems using them in any weather.
If you cannot use them they are pretty useless.
I also try to avoid tackle that is so valuable that I dare not using it. I‘d rather sell it and buy some user reels or rods.
Bobby

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks Bobby,
I agree, not using isn't an option!
Cat.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

If I need a fixed spool it is my go to reel. I love the clutch
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Mine is in immaculate condition but I use it, why not?

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I have used all three sizes but had problems with line going behind the spool.I was worried about losing bits when taking the spools off to correct this on the bank.I sold them and use Mitchell 300s and the smaller 308s which i find pretty much "bomb proof".

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I use mine from time to time. My default reel is the same Mitchell 300 that I've been using for at least 25 years. It has however, been significantly improved by Nobby, as has the Altex. For the sort of carp fishing I do, both are equally suitable. I have to admit thought to sharing your concerns about long term wear, not to the outside finish but the internal mechanism. I'm not convinced they would last forever in tip top working condition.

I write that as it took me a long time to find a really good one and the difference between one with little use and one that has had a hard life is quite marked. More so than I think with some other reels. I think once they are well worn they get a bit 'notchy'. I've handled a brand new one (ie. new old stock) and it was super smooth. Many that you see with tatty exterior are equally tatty inside and they feel it as you turn them over.

I'm not sure what people's views are of using them in the rain but Nobby has written that the Mitchell 300 can suffer if not given 'post rain maintenance'. Perhaps the Altex does also suffer. On the rare occasions that I fish in the rain, I tend to use a centre pin as it's easy to dry it.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

My Altex is only two years old and in very good condition, how can rain hurt it? I've had Mitchell 300s for over 45 years and rain hasn't damaged them.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you Gentlemen,
It would be interesting to play around with an unused Altex to understand what the default setting is. I do have a lovely boxed one, tools, etc, that has been used, but is probably as reasonably close as I'm going to get, although it doesn't have the brass two screw support on the left hand side. The one I'm going to use does, and seems pretty decent. - clutch lovely - although I've had to finely sand the inner of the cup to compensate for a very slight dint on the outer that was causing a slight rub / catch against the spool.
Cat

Silexman
Ruffe

Post by Silexman »

The Altex is a nice reel but I prefer the Exalta and use one regularly for carp.
If a reel can't cope with getting wet its not much use.

Return to “Hardy Reels”