Altex No2 MkV cover plate screw?

The Hardy Reels forum.
Cat
Chub

Altex No2 MkV cover plate screw?

Post by Cat »

Evening Everyone,
Has anyone a spare cover plate screw for an Altex No2 MkV please. I managed to drop one whilst servicing mine and it bounced across the tiles into the abyss. Alternatively, does anyone know where I may get one from (I'm assuming it's a BA thread?)?
Thanks for any advice and help.
Cat

Chavender
Eel

Re: Altex No2 MkV cover plate screw?

Post by Chavender »

i had the same problem with one of mine ,not easy to find tiny old pre metric screws ,i did eventually scavenge one from another altex ,but i was thinking of buying some old watch screws (mixed screws) from ebay to see if i could find one that fits.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks...good idea.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

You could try Les Shaw Traditional fishing tackle-click on the Hardy reel spares link-or send an email direct.
He does keep some fly reel spares so you may be lucky..

The name plate cover screws are roundhead nickel silver shoulder screws. You can buy soft brass -or steel ones (which soon rust) but if you want real nickel silver as per original, you will have to ask someone who has a lathe to make a few up.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Thanks...I've already emailed Les, and Garry. Brass ones would actually be okay, but have you any idea from where (and what actual size...I appreciate I have the pattern of another from the same reel, and assume they are B/A)?
Regards Cat

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

I am fairly certain from memory that they are 10BA. Plain brass, roundhead ones are easy enough to buy (from a certain online market place), but you will have to cut them quite short so that they do not foul the reel internals. All the threads on these reels are either BA, BSF or BSW, external screws made from nickel silver.
The large, "penny slot" screw holding the spool capstan assembly captive is 1/8" x 40 BSW by the way.. I have made quite a few replacements in the past!

The external head diameter of your cover plate screws is 1/8" but there should also be a smaller, stepped shoulder at the end of the thread that locates in the cast body and traps the round nameplate.

With regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks... really appreciated as I've just spent an hour rummaging through dozens of boxes in a freezing garage of the man who has everything, but to know avail.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

I found the screw!...an afternoon off spent productively on the tiled floor with a torch. It only took an hour or so. Top result.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Hi the best way to cut down screws is to put a nut on first then cut the screw to lenght ,file the cut face then unscrew,this way it brings the cut end of the thread back and clears any burrs so it's easy to screw in to the threaded hole.I hope this makes sence.Reelmaker.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Yes it does...thanks, and WM was right in that they are 10BA screws...I have sourced some brass spares just in case.
Thanks Cat

Return to “Hardy Reels”