Stickleback

Super Silex Spool needed

Post by HardyGuy »

Looking for a spool for my 3 3/4" Super Silex

Tomeland
Ruffe

Re: Super Silex Spool needed

Post by Tomeland »

Although Silex and other Hardy reels were often sold with a spare spool (as an additional requirement) they did not sell them seperately as with the more modern reels. Modern reels are CNC made and exactly alike. Older reels were hand-made and fitted on the bench by a workman. Therefore two exact same models of reel did not necessarily allow swapping of spools and each reel was virtually unique. Of course in those days it was possible to return a reel to Hardy's for repair or replacement of drum or spool, but now the spares and craftsmen are no longer available.
The Super SIlex was popular and sold for several years, in many sizes. Your 3 3/4" size points to it possible being a Post-War reel, but there are also different widths of drum too.
Even if someone has exactly the same reel as you they would rarely have a spare spool and it might not fit.
Your best bet might be to contact the guy who does reel repairs http://www.milltackle.com/reel-repairs

Perhaps if you show us some photos of your reel and problems with the original spool we might be able to suggest ways to repair it?

HardyGuy
Stickleback

Post by HardyGuy »

After 35 years of collecting I'm fully aware that most vintage Hardy Reels were hand fitted. In the past i have bought a handful of Reels (Silex and Fly) that were damaged and found spools, some have taken a little tinkering to get to work properly, but I think its worth it getting them back fishing again isted of sitting in a drawer.

Here are a couple of images of my broken Reel.

Tomeland
Ruffe

Post by Tomeland »

HardyGuy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:34 pm After 35 years of collecting I'm fully aware that most vintage Hardy Reels were hand fitted. In the past i have bought a handful of Reels (Silex and Fly) that were damaged and found spools, some have taken a little tinkering to get to work properly, but I think its worth it getting them back fishing again instead of sitting in a drawer.

Here are a couple of images of my broken Reel.

That looks like a reel which was recently on ebay. I was interested but thought the price too high for a damaged reel.

Going by your low post count and very simple question it was easy to assume you were not a long time expert on the matter.

HardyGuy
Stickleback

Post by HardyGuy »

No worries,over the years Ive owned several hundred Super Silex, I just love the them. I have owned this Reel for at least 5 years,it was given to me by a friend, I could have had it sleeved but i think I will wait and try to find a spool. If you don't ask you never get anything.
I don't post a great deal on this site but more often on others.
Were you at all interested in the JW Young Reels that I have ? I have many pics for you to look at, all I need is an e-mail address

Regards

Randy Law
in BC Canada
hardyguy@telus.net

Return to “Hardy Reels”