Hardy Eureka 4 inch

The Hardy Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Hardy Eureka 4 inch

Post by Nobby »

Nice reel Mal. I hadn't realised there was more than one version of the Eureka....I've only seen those with a different check mechanism....the very same as Garry Mills now fits to practically all his reels. There's precious few of those around, let alone your version which must be rarer still.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Looking on Google Pictures it looks like the 3 1/2in model has the rim mounted lever and more holes in the spool.

The 4in model has a knurled knob on the back and less holes

:Thumb:

Update; Just found a post about a 4in model with a rim mounted lever say,s Circa 1930,s

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby wrote:I've only seen those with a different check mechanism
I believe that the 'Eureka' started circa 1913-15 with the 3 1/2 inch model, being joined by the 4 inch in about 1932 ... both running until they were dropped from the catalogue in 1955. I believe that the 'knurled nob' activated check mechanism appeared in about 1950.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The reel arrived today, and it's everything I hoped it would be.

I have to admit my heart sank when I took it from the box and spun it for the first time ... only to see it spin about 2 times before stopping !!! On undoing the latch and removing the spool I found the spindle and the groove which hold the catch were coated in not a light oil, but thick grease. A good clean, an application of the light Bisley Gun Oil which I use .. and it spins wonderfully.

Interesting to see a price of 73 shillings and 6 pence hand written on the base of the box ... that's £3 . 67 1/2p in today's toy money !!! I wish that was what I had paid for it !!! :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

You will enjoy the reel, I find it an excellent product, used it for the first time this past week, had carp to 10lbs I wasn't fishing for them. I was after some big perch. The reel done everything I asked of it.

Return to “Hardy Reels”