"Ventilated" Conquest

The Hardy Reels forum.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: "Ventilated" Conquest

Post by Lea Dweller »

Nobby wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:01 am That first site is Graham Peplar's, I used to see him at all the tackle fairs, but not for some time now. Well spotted with the Conquest there.

It may well be an alloy, though mine here has that distinct 'pink' copper tone, others have a greyish metal plug there. Clearly there are more variants to the Conquest than the two I originally thought, with various feet and bushings.

Ted, wasn't your reel a Rapidex? I seem to remember looking it over in the café near Portsmouth.
Nobby, your memory is correct about where you first saw my reel, it was at the café that we assembled in prior to fishing the Moat! The reel is definitely an Allcock's Flickem Perfection, here are the pictures that I posted on here!ImageImageImageImageImage I remember you commenting that the reel might be some kind of pre mass production effort because of the different shaped "holes" and the round smooth handles. I have not described it well, but it will hopefully jog your memory!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

Nobby, Mine has a brownish patina over it. Have you been buffing up that one ?
It has a very different in texture and density to the phos bronze bearings in
my beezer gold flash from memory, many moons ago.

LD. that reel has the first version parts and paint as fitted to the early Rapidex
Very rarely seen so I would guess not many made, Nice one.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I did wipe it over yes, just to illustrate the pinkish hue, QC. It doesn't look brass, does it?

I agree Ted's reel is a very early Rapidex, badged as a Perfection Flick 'Em for Allcocks, round handles, no strengthening gussets around the spool pillar and 'ordinary' rivets used in the build, whereas later ones had square holed rivets that could be picked up by a tool more easily. It's also got the sculpted edge to the reel back that early models had, which peculiarly, after it was changed for all other reels continued to be used for reels badged as Floatcraft just for Milwards. They must have kept back the early casting dies just for those.

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

I have to admit that I don't own a Rapidex as I took against the cutaway handles
for no reason I can explain, just don't like the look or feel of them.
That one however perks my interest somewhat.
That crinkle paint finish just screams out leftover war surplus from the Allcock stores somehow dunnit. All vey appealing to me, well done LD barely envious me!
Never spotted one come up for sale since I became aware of them.

Nobby,
Whatever that metal may be I feel sure? It be soft enough to be pressed onto the spindle tip to contour and match the surfaces so as to give an even film of oil between both.
You can plainly tell I'm no engineer. Our metalwork teacher left under a cloud after the first term and was never replaced, what a waste of a school workshop.
Dirty Devil he was, always sniffing around the lady teachers.
Have I mentioned this before....?

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Well made reels that's what they are!

Return to “Hardy Reels”