MODIFYING A HARDY SILEX

The Hardy Reels forum.
Leon Hoogendijk
Gudgeon

MODIFYING A HARDY SILEX

Post by Leon Hoogendijk »

Hello. I've never dismantled the ratched mecanism on a Hardy Super Silex reel. Would it be possible to modify that mecanism so that the the one way ratchet would work in the opposite direction? If so, it would be possible to wind in line using our left hand.

Has any of you already dismantles the mecanism too see how it actually works inside?

Leon

MHC

Re: MODIFYING A HARDY SILEX

Post by MHC »

I have dismantled one. If you carefully remove the 3 small screws (first a tiny clockwise pressure then unscrew) in the winding check in the drum you may be able to see the reverse (toothed) silent check part along with the tiny rocking jam (thingy) which locks up when back wound locking the teeth against the pawl in the back of the reel, just reverse those two items. It may work though have not tried myself, put a tiny drop of thin oil in there while you are at it. The downside to left hand wind Silex's is that the casting handle will point to the front when the reel is mounted on the rod, which would dissuade me. There were a few left wind Silexs made, though I have to come across one.

Lovatts
Gudgeon

Post by Lovatts »

Good afternoon Leon.
Did you actually try this ? I want to do the same without breaking it!!M
Regards

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

Hi Gents

I am in the process of trying to do the same thing . All the perceived wisdom is that it cannot be done ( or should't ! ) I am also tempted to try the process described . Apparently there were some LHW reels made but very few and they are now expensive .
I would be interested in your results , if you could post any pictures that would be very helpful .

Cheers
DWW

Lovatts
Gudgeon

Post by Lovatts »

Ah! I see you are talking about a Super Silex, whereas I am looking at a Silex 2.
Which may be why I can't see three screws, only two??
I will try to post a picture.

Lovatts
Gudgeon

Post by Lovatts »

Here's a picture of my Silex No 2

Ideally I would like to reverse the pawl so that the quieter ratchet is on wind in.

Tomeland
Ruffe

Post by Tomeland »

I think the three screws are referring to the ones holding the toothed cog onto the drum. Do not touch the inside of the reel.

Lovatts
Gudgeon

Post by Lovatts »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look later on and let you know.
Regards

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

If it can be removed the pawl can, in theory, be re-shaped to achieve the opposite of its current operation, but it's a bit of a lash-up that should really me done my reversing the spring that bears on the pawl and then turning the pawl over. It does appear that the current spring could be turned over and fitted on the front of the reel, not the rear ( when set up for right hand wind as it was intended).

BUT. ....if the cogwheel on the rear of the drum has angled teeth that too would need removing and reversing to work. That might not be so easy as they are usually an interference fit ( i.e: ruddy tight) even when they are pinned as well. All the images I could find of a Silex spool didn't have angled teeth, though......so it might be a goer......

It's all do-able, but I'd say an expert like Garry Mills should be your first port of call.

Lovatts
Gudgeon

Post by Lovatts »

Now might be the time to give up and treat as a collectable rather than a useable ! The's a risk of messing it up .

Return to “Hardy Reels”