Hardy Reel Makers Initials

The Hardy Reels forum.
AlunThomas

Re: Hardy Reel Makers Initials

Post by AlunThomas »

Hi All

I'm new to the forum and have a question regarding Hardy Perfect reels and makers' initials.

I recently bought one to use with a cane fly rod (7'6" 4wt) made by a local craftsman and fishing pal in Salt Lake City, Utah.
I got the reel on ebay last week and it turned out to be the one pictured on this web page

http://existentialangler.blogspot.com/2 ... kings.html

under the heading

" 1950 - 1966
The curved lettering changed to straight line ~".

By "same reel" I do mean actual reel, not just model. I can tell from the initials and other wear marks scratched
into the winding plate. The description on the web page is consistent with the seller's description of "early post war"
so I'm pretty happy with my buy. I fished with it on Monday and it was great.

So my question is regarding the marks on the parts. All three major parts: winding plate, spool, and frame have
"85" punched into them. I believe that these are batch numbers and is good evidence that the reel is made up of
three parts that were meant to go together from when they were made in the factory, not something cobbled
together from parts of other reels.

It also has an "H" punched into the winding plate. "H" doesn't appear the list of known makers/finishers'
initials that Mark posted at the top of this thread, and I'm guessing that perhaps this might be from a late model
when the initials were used more generically for quality control and didn't refer to specific craftsmen or women.

If anyone can confirm or contradict my guesses regarding "85" and "H", or otherwise enlighten me I'd be very grateful.
There's no great significance to my inquiry, it's just that I find the possibility of identifying the actual maker of the reel
intriguing.

So, a pretty long winded post for a simple question, but I'd appreciate any help.

Best

Alun Thomas.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Can't answer your question but welcome to the forum Alan. :Hat:

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

I'll second that Alun, welcome to the forum.

Churchill
Bleak

Post by Churchill »

Hi Alun, I'm glad you like the reel - it was mine, as is the blog post.

I don't know when the last reel maker stopped stamping their initials in reels; but agree that the numbers were for assembly management . . . and possibly production count.
I do know that some of the later limited edition repro series resurrected the habit of reel maker's initials, but that was more of a marketing ploy in my opinion.

A simple possibility is that the 'H' is for handle position (?) (just off to check some more reels and pics)
Maybe the order of assembly dictated that the handle was added after the spindle and face stamping so face down in the drill press. . .

Brian

AlunThomas

Post by AlunThomas »

Hi Brian

Nice to make contact with you other than through the rather anonymous ebay interface!

H for handle sounds plausible, and given a a few examples from the same era, might be
confirmed. I'll keep an eye out for similar models. Please let me know if have any other
insights.

Best

Alun

Tomeland
Ruffe

Post by Tomeland »

Often sea reels such as the Fortuna, Longstone, etc. were made in Duralumin or Hiduminium which were resistant to corrosion.... and sometimes were stamped H or D inside. The very shiny bright metal was usually left unpainted. Other reel models occasionally were also made like this, whether by special order or not I don't know. Silex reels especially Super Silex were, but I never saw any Perfects like it.
Just a thought.

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

My Hardy Wallis No.2 4" reel is stamped only with an 'L' inside, and my pre-war Eureka 3 1/2" has an 8 stamped???

Sovereign
Stickleback

Post by Sovereign »

Hardy reel makers stamping

Here are what I think we have found out about the Hardy reel makers stamping so far, fakta and guessings.
A Hardy reel was stamped if it was made (assembled) by one Hardy reel maker. Not all Hardy reels were stamped, most of the Hardy Silexes were, some but not all of other Hardy reel were stamped.
The stamping started around 1908 (my guessing) and with the Hardy Silex no. 1 in the last model, then it spred to other Hardy reel makers. At first the Stamping was one letter for the makers surname ( Px. For the Silex no. 1 from 1908 C,D or W). Later on probably during the WW 1 period the stamping became two or three letters, initials for the christian/s and for the surname.
The stamping of the fly reels ended in the beginning of the 1950th. when Hardys started to use more labour-saving production metodes. For the stationary drum and and multiplying reels the stamping ended with the ending of the production of these reels 1965/66.
The stamping will for most reels be in the cage-bottom.For the Hardy Perfects on the inside of the winding-plate but not all reels were stamped, most Hardy Silexes were. For the the stationary drum reels the stamping were on the metal-parts behind the spool and for the multiplying reels Jock Scott and Elarex the stamping was inside the reel.
You can find the letter H or D on some Hardy reels, Hardy Silexes, Sea reels and also fly reels. These letters indicates that the reel was made from a special saltwater resistent alloy, these reels are in the ”white” and more shiny than other Hardy reels in the ”white” ( px. wartime WW2 ”spitfire” reels)
Sometimes you can find a letter or a number on both the spool and the cage, these are put there to pare the right parts together or it can be a batch-number (all was hand made in those days).
From 1998 to 2002? Hardy made some special edition fly reels px. Hardy Bougle 1903 replica, these reels are stamped inside with the item number and the initials of the maker. Good hunting!
Picture 1 : Hardy Silex no. 1 4” ca 1908 Hardy reel maker D = William Dingley at Hardys between 1891 and 1911. Picture 2: Hardy Wallis no. 1 31/2” and 4” (1932-1939 only) maker G.T = Gordon Talbot at Hardys between 1929-1939. Picture 3: Hardy Uniqua Salmon 33/4” 1940th. Maker J.R.J = Jackie Johnson 1938-1966. Picture 4: A Hardy Perfect 31/4” from the 1930th. Maker J.S Jimmy Smith 1908 - 1965 ? And picture 5: Hardy Special ed. (for Japan) 27/8” Spitfire Perfect (2001) no. 72/250 maker C.S.N. = Charlie Norris 1985? to present.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sovereign on Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Crompton
Minnow

Post by Mike Crompton »

HI,
Does anyone know a more up to date list of Hardy Reel Makers than John Drewtt's book published in 1998. "Hardy Brothers. The Masters,The Men and their Reels"? I am looking for the names of the following initials stamped on "Silex" Reels....OK. RW. W AHW (dates required if possible). Many thanks.

Churchill
Bleak

Post by Churchill »

Mike, a list I produced a few years ago -

OK - don't know - possibly means what it says - seen on a few reels
RW? or PW? Percy Walsh 1920 - 54
W - not sure, again, seen on a few reels
AHW - Arthur Wall (as in Smith and Wall family ... but moved to Hardy) 1901 - 39

Return to “Hardy Reels”