Method of taking a Hardy Elarex Apart for service or repair.

The Hardy Reels forum.
MHC

Re: Method of taking a Hardy Elarex Apart for service or rep

Post by MHC »

Thanks, the production Jock Scott was only 2" in diameter so the enlarged photo of the inside shows the reel much larger-by about 4 times. I inspected the reel inside with an eye glass. The larger domed screws seem perfect with straight slots and no surface burrs, they look untouched to me. The smaller domed screws same, including those in the removable cap end. The 4 small flat screws which seem to hold the handle and drag assembly in place are indeed very small the heads being less than 3mm across. The slots seem not unduly damaged but there is some old grease on the heads, they show the smallest compression/tightening evidence but only in the clockwise direction, that goes for the other visible flush screws.
All of the outside screws and small domed hex nuts look untouched. The reel has had little use by the looks of it, I am amazed that it was intended for pike and salmon spinning as it is so tiny. The black finish was an early type of anodizing which was not as tough as todays finishes, many examples of J Scott black production reels became more purple with use and worn at the edges.
I also just checked in J Drewetts book on Hardy reels which he shows an identical (50's) HJS reel in similar condition. Examination (again) with an eye glass of a photo of the inside of his reel in the book, shows similar condition of the smaller screws. Only one of Hardy's reel finishers is on record having put together the HJS reel during the post war period, that was Robert Marshall Scott, maybe it was his way to tighten the screws in a certain manner.

Malcolm

SAJ
Ruffe

Post by SAJ »

Malcolm thanks for the additional info.

I was trying to work out the gear ratio from your pictures ind it looks like a x 4. Am I close?

MHC

Post by MHC »

According to a Hardy catalogue of 1951, the HJS reels have 'involute' type gears and a ratio of four to one.

SAJ
Ruffe

Post by SAJ »

Hi Fabianfred

JL was Jack Luke who worked at Hardy's 1936-1987 on the Altex, Elarex, Exalta reels.

Regarding the date all I can say is they were produced from the 30's up until 1964.

Hope this is of some interest to you.

SAJ

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

What stands on the royal warrants? Late King George or...?By this it is possible to say from which decade it is.

MHC

Post by MHC »

I do not think that the royal warrants on the Elarex changed throughout the production run, I have seen both early and late models This reel has a bent n/silver sheet cover over the distributor shaft they came along post 1947, before they were tubular. The late reels made between 1960 or so and 1964 had the pin and fibre washers rather than the shoe casting brakes. Apart from these two indications I do not know of another more precise way to date the reel, as Jack Luke worked at the firm for the entire production time of the Elarex. So this reel dates between 1947 and 1960, unless others may have further insights.

Keston
Tench

Re: Method of taking a Hardy Elarex Apart for service or repair.

Post by Keston »

Thank you for the informative thread . Once again I searched TFF to answer questions and I found exactly what I was looking for .
What an amazing resource .

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: Method of taking a Hardy Elarex Apart for service or repair.

Post by Bobthefloat »

What a great thread :Hat:

Return to “Hardy Reels”