Richard Walker writing about the Altex.

The Hardy Reels forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Richard Walker writing about the Altex.

Post by Mark »

Chris Bettis wrote:I am reading the Carp Catchers Club at the moment and Richard Walkers comment on this range of reels was interesting.In one of the letters he compared the Felton Crosswind, the Altex and the Mitchell. The Felton was dismissed out of hand and he wrote that he put the Mitchell ahead of the Altex. When he was asked to expand on the Altex and the Mitchell he said the following. He had used an Altex One since 1936 and used it for lines of 4lb. His comments on the Altex Two were not good and he stated that he could not be given an Altex Three. Although the Mitchell working parts were not of such good quality as The Altex it did not matter as parts for the Mitchell were cheap and that anyone with a spanner and pair of pliers was able to strip and replace parts on the Mitchell. The Altex being a very different proposition and that the Mitchell cast better. These comments were not, of course, for the public as the reading of the letter was for members of theC.C.C. only. As usual with Richard, he did not beat about the bush when asked for an opinion!
I do like my Altex No2 Mk V.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Aquaerial
Chub

Re: Richard Walker writing about the Altex.

Post by Aquaerial »

I'm with you on that Mark..the sound of that clutch is intoxicating. They are a reel makers reel to be fair to Walker but what the heck when they are sound there is not a fish that swims in UK waters that you couldn't fish for with one of those in your basket.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Return to “Hardy Reels”