Stick floats history

This forum is for discussing Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques.
Backhand

Re: Stick floats history

Post by Backhand »

Firebird wrote:Only difference is that you can shape a piece of balsa to the size you want, whereas you take quills as they come, or cut and piece together. Otherwise identical from the fishing point of view, although perhaps different from the fishing aesthetics one.
If I was looking to find a float to fish breadpunch. It would have to take 2BB plus about 6-10 No 10's From the top I would use Cane, then some sort of reed and maybe a quill of some sort as the base. Or cane/reed with a balsa bottom. I'm looking forward to trying that. 40 years ago you could buy sarkanda reed as an alternative to Peacock quill. It was a poor 2nd as it didn't take much shot and you had to have an insert to get a thin top, with peacock you just used a tapered piece.

Has anyone any ideas as to what reed to use and where I can source it from.

Sorry again from going off thread.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I made this quill stick float a few months ago but have not yet tried it. It's made from quill, Norfolk reed, and cane for the stem. I don't think it will take much shot, possibly about 3BB. I think the cane is 4mm. I will have to check this .
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Backhand

Post by Backhand »

Santiago wrote:I made this quill stick float a few months ago but have not yet tried it. It's made from quill, Norfolk reed, and cane for the stem. I don't think it will take much shot, possibly about 3BB. I think the cane is 4mm. I will have to check this .

I presume the quill is very buoyant, I haven't used quills for such a long time. How do you get the quill bit to look translucent.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Quill is exceedingly buoyant, it's just a thin hollow tube of keratin (same as nails and hair). I can't really comment on how I achieve the transparency as it's part of the secretive dark art of quillology.

Hemingway

Backhand

Post by Backhand »

Santiago wrote:Quill is exceedingly buoyant, it's just a thin hollow tube of keratin (same as nails and hair). I can't really comment on how I achieve the transparency as it's part of the secretive dark art of quillology.
That's ok I understand. I might have to get some and experiment just for fun. Do you buy your quills in bulk or just as you need them. If it's not a secret you can PM me. I might end up not buying any, but it does look like a fun thing to try. I have used just balsa for so many years, I hadn't thought about trying something else. I have just recently stopped working part time so will have a bit more time on my hands. I can't retire for good yet and will have to find something else, but not for a few months. Might have the summer off and do a bit more angling.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Santiago wrote:Quill is exceedingly buoyant, it's just a thin hollow tube of keratin (same as nails and hair). I can't really comment on how I achieve the transparency as it's part of the secretive dark art of quillology.
"Quillology" brilliant :laugh:

You'll never get that out of Santiago. We will need to kidnap and threaten him with mines under his ship before he'll tell us what he does to get a translucent quill!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I collect my quills from the banks of thames in June after moulting. I have some bits left over and some reed that I would be happy to send you. Enough to make a few stick floats with. Just pm me your address.

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Tengisgol, I wish I'd made up the term quillology, but I read it in Hooked on Floats.

Hemingway

Backhand

Post by Backhand »

Tengisgol wrote:
"Quillology" brilliant :laugh:

You'll never get that out of Santiago. We will need to kidnap and threaten him with mines under his ship before he'll tell us what he does to get a translucent quill!
:Chuckle: :Chuckle:

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I think those quill hardwood floats would work ok , I may even fit a wire stem in one Te Heeee .
Another variation could be a heavy porcupine quill for a more weighted stem, suppose the variations could be almost endless.

MA

Return to “Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques”