Who can Wallis cast? ....

This forum is for discussing Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques.
Beryl

Who can Wallis cast? ....

Post by Beryl »

How long did you take to learn? Any tips...
I had a go recently when nothing was biting. Useless,but only at it twenty minutes. I normally take three grabs of line then cast. I set the spool turning with a flicking the spool as its near to landing. Stops kick backs but that all. I am a bit of a curmudgeon and insist on a centerpin under all circumstances.

Aquaerial
Chub

Re: Who can Wallis cast? ....

Post by Aquaerial »

I was taught by a master and very fortunate to be in his company to learn though even more fortunate to keep my wallet and its contents firmly in my pocket. Seeing it done and being guided is by far the best way then practice practice practice. This fellow can also overhead Wallis cast which really is quite something and such a thing I'm yet to even consider as I'm still using the underhand which I would say seems adequate at the moment.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have tried and tried and still cannot master the Wallis Cast.I have practised in the field,watched videos and as recently as yesterday looked at photographs of the great Wallis himself in action.I get even more frustrated when I go fishing BendSomeCane who is an expert at it!I am considering asking BSC to givie me lessons.Perhaps he could do a workshop for any TFF members in the Sheffield area who may be interested.Any tips would be welcome.For information I am a competent fly fisherman and am able to do all the usual single handed rod casts and can also Spey cast.
Mark Davies

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

What helped me was the following:

stand 90° turned to the direction you intend to cast. Hold the rod straight in front. grab the line and move the line hand and rod hand away from each other in the same speed. Open your arm about 120° maximum. At the end of your cast motion move the line holding hand slowly back towards the rod while the rod itself stays in direction of cast. Just don't forget to brake down shortly before end of cast. This helped me a lot to estimate the amount of force to make the reel spin. I do that each time a change casting weight. You will quickly accommodate until you just don't think too much about it anymore.

Edit: I may add. Casting heavier weights on thicker line and using a C815 was helpful too. I slowly transform to thinner lines and reels with larger diameter stepwise...
Last edited by OldTackle on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'm very proficient at Waly casting, and have found it's much easier when using my Mitchell 300 than with a centrepin. :whistle:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Tempted to say start with a 3 1/2 inch reel and not be too ambitious.. overruns will be reduced this way and as in anything build slowly based on achievement.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Beryl wrote:How long did you take to learn? Any tips...
I had a go recently when nothing was biting. Useless,but only at it twenty minutes. I normally take three grabs of line then cast. I set the spool turning with a flicking the spool as its near to landing. Stops kick backs but that all. I am a bit of a curmudgeon and insist on a centerpin under all circumstances.
Snap! Glad its not just me. I keep trying to learn but never get around to it properly. :surrender:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I taught myself and suffered the usual million or two tangles but soon learned, as in fly fishing, not to extend yourself too much. Having become proficient enough to catch a few fish I saw experts do it and found I was doing it 'wrong'! However, if you can get a bait fifteen to twenty yards with some accuracy then you're good enough. Those that can do it fifty yards, around trees and with a free lined maggot are just showing off :Sarcasm:

I found casting a float with the wind behind me a great aid to accuracy and confidence but now I use heavier leads most of the time I am an all rounder. I've even tried doing it properly (according to each so-called expert) and can adapt their methods too. Its just down to getting the timing right.

The best way to learn is to bury your fixed spools for a few trips, you'll soon pick it up.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I can do it maybe 3 times out of 10 on a good day! :Hat:

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Look a this cocky chap....

http://youtu.be/pB6UY2YNix8

As wifey would say " he needs a good slap!"

Return to “Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques”