Adcock Stanton Question

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Old Man River
Eel

Adcock Stanton Question

Post by Old Man River »

Hi all, this is a very long shot....

I have an Adcock Stanton , not a true "pin" but nevertheless I do like it , it is one of newer models with a "plastic " reel seat, but the reel seat is very naff, therefore I have made a copy from Brass and stainless steel,it looks a whole lot better, but I am stuck now..

Does anybody know what threads the "plastic" reel seat screws are ? I am having problems identifying them.

There are two sizes, 2 cheesehead screwst that holds the ratchet spring , the screws go through the backplate into the "Plastic".

The second set of 3 countersunk screws also go through the backplate into the " plastic "

Both sets of screw holes are drilled and threaded through the alloy backplate, and also threaded in the "plastic ".

I know I could drill retap the screws, not a problem, but I want to retain the original plastic reel seat in case I move the reel on and the new owner prefers the lighter plastic as opposed to the stainless and brass replacement.

Cheers :Hat:

OMR.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Adcock Stanton Question

Post by Watermole+ »

I have never seen these reels before and this is an absolute complete guess, but because you say it is one of the newer types with non-metallic material in it, my money would be on the standard ISOmetric coarse thread series (M3 - M12 are the normal range).

Because the reel has been made here (presumably?) I am discounting AN and Unified threads and British Standard threads have all but disappeared now, with BA not far behind them..

..which leaves the small metric screws, so easy to obtain in high tensile steel, stainless st. and brass, both plated and solid.

There is a Fine-thread metric series, but unlikely for securing alloy or non metallic, I would have thought..

If they are definitely not metric, measure the size of tapped hole that they go into and check the thread against screws which you know the value of..Better still, check the thread with a pitch gauge if you have one. That will tell you instantly.

Hoping that this helps..? :Hat:

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Thanks WM,I agree with your observations entireley..

I have the original screws, but am lacking a complete set of small taps, so I cant check the threads against any known thread pitch. I have shedloads of taps and dies, probably most different types, from Whitworth to UNF and onward....

I agree, they are probably metric.

What ideally I would like is to know the sizes so I can go out an buy the correct taps to finish the job.

I would go down to the local millwrights with the reel back plate and try their stock taps / bolts /setscrews etc, ,but as the place is always rammed with tradesmen it isnt likley they would have the time.I did think a model engineers suppliers would perhaps be the place to try, but we dont have one locally.

The screws are tiny,really small for the job they do , smaller than M3. smaller than 4BA , and down further as well, I would probably need a microscope to see what I was doing with a thread gauge .

Anyway, luckily there is no urgency, if I dont get any further with it, when I am out and about I will pop it in the car and if I see a likley outlet I can just pop in on spec. I did think of contacting the manufacturers but have drawn a blank there as well so far , no answer to the given number...

Anyway, many thanks for your imput and suggestions. :Hat:

David

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

If the screws are visibly smaller than M3, then the probability is that unfortunately, you are unlikely to buy “off the shelf” as it were.
However, nil desperandum..The exception to this are electrical light switch, surface plate screws which are M2,5 and easy to buy from most D.I.Y. Stores.

There is actually a terrific range of metric threads below M3 in the coarse thread series, M2 and M2,5 being common. Below M2, they step down in increments of 0,1mm. I have taps from M1,1 up to M1,8 which cover most of the non-standard ones but still find the oddball from time to time!

If you get stuck, put a pattern one in the post to me..

Regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Not seen an Adcock with a plastic reel seat - none of my 3 have one.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Take a picture of the screw next to an imperial rule - so we can gauge the pitch, and also a photograph of the dia. I'm pretty convinced at BA

These were made way before metric became common place.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

or ask via their website:
https://adcockstanton.com/

01509 673253

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Olly wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:41 pm Not seen an Adcock with a plastic reel seat - none of my 3 have one.
Here it is Olly....

Clearly very flimsy and " lightweight "up to an alloy or brass one. Beats me why they fit it at all, it must be strong enough for its purpose, although it really looks cheap in my opinion. I suppose it may be made from something modern and stronger than plastic, not sure what though.

I will try to contact AS again tomorrow, maybe they will give me a price for a replacement, although I have actually made one myself from Brass and Stainless steel. Just need the screw sizes .

OM

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Ah! I thought that was just a 'plastic' surround for the fitting!

Right!
reel 1 - triangular back fitting with 3 pins into the back plate no lettering on the triangle - no ratchet
reel 2 - as reel 1 above but with lettering on triangle with no pins/screws visible externally - no ratchet
reel 3 - as reel 2 but with lettering surrounded by black ""plastic"" - with ratchet
None have the "centre drag".

Used them all over the years with no ill effects on any from new.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I was told the plastic ones were fitting due to the metal ones breaking off if accidentally dropped.
But like you never liked the plastic ones they feel and look cheap.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”