A Cork Arbor for a Speedia Narrow Drum Reel

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
JW1
Grayling

Re: A Cork Arbor for a Speedia Narrow Drum Reel

Post by JW1 »

Please put me down for a set if they haven't already been spoken for.

JW

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Banksy wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:24 pm
Stathamender wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:14 pm I've ordered 10 from my local technoprinter, should be ready by Tuesday. I forgot that Macman designed them so they're printed in pentagonal halves (that is you lock two of them together around the reel to form the complete 10 sided arbor. So you'll need two if you want them. I'm getting 20 'halves' printed for £37.40 so a complete set will be around £4.50 including p&p.

I'll post an announcement when I get them from the printer.
I for one, would certainly be interested!
Please put me down as a customer.
I presume that they just snap on to the 10 spokes?
:Hat:
As you'll see here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:267968 on the inner surface they're flat and fit between the spokes while the outer surface is rounded, they're two semi-circles which snap together at the compression fittings at the ends. So if you look at the compartative picture of the two Lewtham Leeds reels I posted earlier the reel looks like the one on the right at first then should look like the one on the left after the arbour is fitted.

Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Strathamender, that looks like a perfect solution to me! :clap:

Does it also come in black?

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Banksy wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:51 am Strathamender, that looks like a perfect solution to me! :clap:

Does it also come in black?
It does. Indeed it comes in any colour you want as long as it's black. I'll put you down for one.
Last edited by Stathamender on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Yes please Iain - just for one reel - thank you.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

So much the better if they can be done in black :Thumb:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

You may find, .... as I did ....that the Speedia width between the two spool halves varies a bit. This meant I had to flat mine down against a sheet of sandpaper and I went just a little off-centre.

This meant that by the time I could get the two arbour sections into the reel there was enough of a gap to let line get down the side!

I swore at myself a bit.........

It does transform the reel though...lovely limp Gardner Hydrflo line on it without so much as a visible kink........

Prior to this I had put 1/8th inch cork sheet around the pins on a Speedia, butting the two ends up against one another and glueing them there. It was still a bit out of round, but a second layer was almost prefect and because the cork was slightly over-width I didn't get the line down the side issue either......all in all it might have done a better job that my Macman arbour.....though that was my fault, not the arbours!

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

The wide drum version fitted my Speedia perfectly and the line lay was ideal. Be warned that a small degree of cutting/filing is required to allow the arbour to sit over where the handle is joined to the spool internally. This can be done without altering the width of the arbour that the line sits on so retaining a tight, gap-free fit.
Russ

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Luga00 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:08 am The wide drum version fitted my Speedia perfectly and the line lay was ideal. Be warned that a small degree of cutting/filing is required to allow the arbour to sit over where the handle is joined to the spool internally. This can be done without altering the width of the arbour that the line sits on so retaining a tight, gap-free fit.
Russ
There's a note on the V2 design files that Macman has altered the spec so that the handles fit into a space obviating the need for this, I'll find out when I collect them, I hope, later today.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Nobby wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:57 am You may find, .... as I did ....that the Speedia width between the two spool halves varies a bit. This meant I had to flat mine down against a sheet of sandpaper and I went just a little off-centre.

This meant that by the time I could get the two arbour sections into the reel there was enough of a gap to let line get down the side!

I swore at myself a bit.........
A foot or two of cork tape should deal with this problem if it arises.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”