Mitchell 386

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Mitchell 386

Post by Tonytoned »

Sorry people :Scared:

Had to buy this Mitchell 386..... for £2!!..... at the local car boot.....again! that's throw away money, a little spit and polish plus an oilling should run a treat. Don't want it looking like a shiny new penny though.
You never know, I might even take up traditional sea fishing.

:eyebrow:

Saying that, it's about the size of the reels that Carp fishers use nowadays..... Ah ha!

:Wink:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Mitchell 386

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Such a bargain! Nice find sir.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:03 am Such a bargain! Nice find sir.
Thank you sir.

:Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Martin H wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:06 am Just smack it with a big hammer, it will be fine !
Like it! Hope the hammer doesn't break though!!

:Thumb:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Apart from the cosmetics I bet the insides are fine, they are normally bullet proof unless had a very hard life, cracking buy for two quid! Dick Turpin strikes again. You should be able to pick up an old glass Beach caster, Milbro, ABU etc around the bootfairs.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Reedling wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:42 am Apart from the cosmetics I bet the insides are fine, they are normally bullet proof unless had a very hard life, cracking buy for two quid! Dick Turpin strikes again. You should be able to pick up an old glass Beach caster, Milbro, ABU etc around the bootfairs.
Your absolutely right Reedling, the actual running is very smooth. The bailarm lock didn't engage, but after a little bit of WD40 it is now sweet. Will take apart to clean it though. Funny you should say that was a couple of beach caster rod at the boot sale. Many thanks

Tony

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

These are almost a giant 308 with their planamatic gears and can run very smoothly indeed. Coupled with a superb clutch they make a great carp reel, but for some reason aren't popular. They should be!

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Nobby wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:31 am These are almost a giant 308 with their planamatic gears and can run very smoothly indeed. Coupled with a superb clutch they make a great carp reel, but for some reason aren't popular. They should be!

Thank you Nobby. I did think that about carp angling and as you say they are very smooth. I think they are still very stylish too.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”